Frame Enhancements

Genius
Genius

I would be very interested to know what others think of the Frame Environment and what in your opinion would be some great enhancements to make the product better.

I seem to be using it quite a bit lately and for the most part it is a great tool. Very flexable. However there are a few things that could make its functionality much better.

When ever I make an assembly, each part is given a part number which is used as a BOM as well as the drawing number. However when I make a frame I cannot use the part number of the individual components as they all share the same part number. I have to make a messy job of using one assembly drawing with multiple sheets and referring the individual parts base on their item number.

Enhancement 01 - Each component have its own Part Number.

Enhancement 02 - In the drawing view wizard preview it shows the original part not the frame component when you are wanting to select only one component from the frame for the drawing. It would be nice to see the frame component as a preview.

I know that you can save the individual components as separate parts but you then loose the functionality of making any adjustments with the driving sketch.

I intend making a change request but thought I would get the opinion of others to see if the two enhancements I have listed are worth putting forward.

7 REPLIES

Re: Frame Enhancements

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I know that you can save the individual components as separate parts but you then loose the functionality of making any adjustments with the driving sketch.

If you use the "Save Selected Model" command to save your frame components out as their own individual files, they will be linked to their respective frame components so that if you drive your frame members within the frame environment (via the sketch), they will update.  I have a utility that automates this where you can select all the members at the same time and save them all in one step versus one at a time (you are welcome to it if you want it).

Also, once these files are saved, you can rebuild your frame structure in a new assembly by holding down the Ctrl key when dragging them in from the Parts Library.  They will be placed in their original location and be linked back to the original Frame.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

the only problem I see here is, that You only can save one single frame part at the time to get it associative.

If You select the complete frame structure and save it as, then You will get non-associative part files.

A save all frame assoc. would be a huge enhancement

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I mention in my first response that I have a utility that allows you to save all frame members at the same time.

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Phenom
Phenom

It would be a start if the frame would actually update properly when the path is changed.
I don't know what they did in ST7 but I now always have problems with it that I never had in ST6.

I would also like the cross-section to use the same location point and orientation if I change it for a similar one (eg. going from 50x50 angle to 40x40). Having to redefine a whole load of frame cross-section locations is a pain.

Could we also have the section follow edges and faces correctly. We use frames for things like sealing strips, edge protection strips etc which often have be on an angled face. Sometimes I have to adjust the angle setting of the frame cross section. I think if the start of the frame is on an orthogonal face it works, but not if you start on an angled face.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

To the Enhancement 01. The new (ST9) Custom Occurence Properties can be useful here.

Here is a short video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Kevin,

is this a Solid Edge macro, addin, ?

And could You provide it to the community?

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

Hi Imics,

Great video, it clearly shows the process of giving individual components of a frame a unique number. I have made some changes to the way in which I produce my BOM lists and drawings numbers. I now have a couple of new quick sheets specificaly for Frame components. Again this is all a work around and is why I think Siemens should look at the frame environment and produce "Document Numbers" and previews for each component.

Thanks Imics it is much appreciated.

Neil...