Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Course on Generative

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Free course on topology optimization and generative design. Not only is it free, its REALLY good.

If you are wondering at all what this new craze is about, go here --> https://www.udemy.com/topologyoptimization/

Just watch the intro video to get a feel -- then sign up. Did I mention its free? (and if you have Solid Edge Classic, you can get started right away on trying it out).

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development
8 REPLIES

Re: Free Course on Generative

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I watched it! Great job!

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Experimenter
Experimenter

Instead of 3D printing or 3D laser sintering a fine piece of engineering, I would rather preffer to laser cut some holes (or whatever shapes is required) on some steel sheets and weld them all into a single piece.
How could be used this "generative design" and in what step - approached in this order: designing a full body for easyness, reducing its mass with sheet gauge obtained by a "thin wall" command, FEA simulation to establish the right gauge of sheet,  splitting it in flat pieces cut from sheets of metal to reduce mass and, afterward, the whole assembly being weld in order to keep the strength?
Same question is valid for cutting some holes into steel tubes ( round or rectangle) or other standard steel profiles usable to build an assembly to reduce the mass.

It would be interesting if all those organic shapes could be approximated by some internal ribs welded between faces.

I'm interested to build a new and different gantry for my cnc  - more reasons to reduce mass and inertia!

Thanks in advance for a solution!

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Valentin_,

Your case is exactly the type of situational use case we would likely one day employ this technology for [as yet untapped resourse]......but, the way I understand it, you only use the generative design [we only have SE-Classic licenses here] model as a guide to then construct the sheet metal part, or assembly, towards the same optimised GD structure.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP3] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I don't use "generative design" at all, but I was asking if and how is the best way to use it on the path I've proposed.

So, how should I proceed to get a result usable for what I need?

Because of what I understood from the presentations made to "generative design" it could be only use on "solid" parts, not on assembly of parts or parts made of sheets.

Thanks.

Phenom
Phenom

@Valentin_ I would also love a version of generative for sheet metal welded assemblies,but in the meantime I think you're best doing as @SeanCresswell suggests.

You could run a generative study on a large block with keep out and bolting regions etc. This will give you an understanding of the problem, and possibly a bitof inspiration e.g. where you need material, where you don't need so much, what direction the loads are working etc.  You would then have to just design from scratch the sheet metal, but you should be able to do a more efficient and intersesting design.

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Agree with @SeanCresswell

Recently completed the course by John Devitry and found it to be quite exhaustive.

The takeaway of the training is not merely the steps and procedures which are illustrated with an overwhelmingly large number of examples, but also the underlying principles of Generative Design.

Generative Design is not wedded to 3D printing, which is a popular notion.

I think 3D printing at best compliments GenDesigned models by helping to create tangible prototypes faster.

Once the forces and stresses are all established and solved for optimum material and strength, the picture or form that emerges can be further harnessed in conventional manufacturing processes.

A structural steel frame can be built based on a 'lump model of a chasis' that was initially subjected to optimization using GenDesign with due care taken to add more joints or trusses where stresses are more.

Another case out here in western India is a young designer working with a small manufacturing shop who was happy to shave off some material from their regular design and still be able to send it out for sand casting. They were happy with just taking the baby steps towards full-fledged GenDesign.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I will give it a try according to your proposal on various approaches to find a way for a trully usefull generative design on welded sheets.

And I post here the various result obtained along the path.

Please, be patient with the results!

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

That's awesome @Valentin_

I have not only bookmarked this thread but also watching this space for the results.

Best Regards,

Tushar

www.SurfAndCode.IN