Full ST9 and ST9 Free2D on same PC

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I am wondering how to use full ST9 and ST9 Free 2D on the same PC. I have a dongle-licensed full ST9 and I move the dongle between my laptop and my desktop. I would like to be able to use Free 2D on my laptop when I don't have access to the dongle. How can I achieve this?

Christopher Hicks

13 REPLIES

Re: Full ST9 and ST9 Free2D on same PC

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @cmh,

You can do this, just as I do for supporting Student Edition users.

The method I use will mean renaming, with each use, the license file [Correct name is = SELicense.dat]......When using the full version, rename the 2D license to "SELicense[2D].dat", and in a similar way, when using the 2D version, rename "SELicense[full].dat"

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Cool. A bit clunky, but it works. Thanks for your help.

CH
==

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @SeanCresswell

You were faster but Yes, this absoluteley is the way to handle that.

I also have to change to academic for opening students work.

There is only one issue - and it happened once for the last 15 years - never, ever forget to set back Yoour license to the full when working again for Your customers.

I had it once, when working in the evening at the unisversity with my notebook and going to cusomer the next day in the morning.

And Yes, I have forgotten to set back the license and opened a customer file directly from their server.

Yes, modified it ans saved it. And it was just that moment when remembering ... "uuups I'm in student mode ...!"

There is only one question You can ask: "Do You have a good backup system?"

But making this expirience once, believe me, You never will do it a second time

Smiley Very Happy

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @SeanCresswell and @cmh

what I have forgotten is, that You can use a small script (xxxx.bat or xxx.cmd) to copy first the appropriate license file to ....\preferences and then start edge.exe

Having 2 of them on Your desktop with different names (Solid Edge FULL and Solid Edge 2D) gives You the option for starting the requested version directly by double-click it

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@hawcad, yes I have some students that visit me at work sometimes, and I have rule never to allow ANY Student Edition version to be connected to our network.....as you say, a mistake you never forget...and I did also, that one time. Robot Embarassed

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @SeanCresswell

welcome at the club Robot Very Happy

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The way I do it here is with the license utility. In a folder on the desktop I put a shortcut to the utility and 2 license files, one normal, one free. Pretty simple but a batch script to rename would probably be better.

@hawcadsaid: "Having 2 of them on Your desktop with different names (Solid Edge FULL and Solid Edge 2D) gives You the option for starting the requested version directly by double-click it"

Are you saying double-clicking on a license file will start SE?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @bshand

no, I do not have the license files at desktop but the to scripts (command files) which first copy the appropriate license into the preferene folder and then start the edge.exe

So You have not to go into the explorer - folder and so on but simply starts the wanted version

I also have written a vb program many years ago which let me do this in a more sophisticatic way, with more then two options.

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@hawcad  OK, makes sense. Another "duh" moment on my part.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200