Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GD&T assitance. Tolerance stackup tool

Pioneer
Pioneer

Dear community,

I'm focusing on learning GD&T. I was wondering, is there is a way to visualise in 3D (Part and Asm environments) the effects of the tolerances in form, location and orientation in SE?

Like an add-on that reads the PMI and gives you a "deformed" body with the effects on the faces  (features of size) in order to build a "tolerance stack up report". It would work like the relationships in Synchronous models to find the location of the features of size. Would this be useful anyways?  

I understand of having the experience with GD&T to select the right datums and tolerances, but some parts can get very complicated to follow. 

Best,

Josue

5 REPLIES 5

Re: GD&T assitance. Tolerance stackup tool

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

There is no 3D tool to do this.  It would be super nice and have and has been requested as part of the overall Solid Edge portfolio of products.

Now there are some Tolerance analysis tools on the market that do work with SE but these are based on 2D inputs and do you not show 3D "fields" of material condition.

I used to teach an intro to GD&T class and even creating class examples and models was touchy...  lots of things are easiest sketched in the 2D.

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional
Solid Edge 2019 (SEEC) - Production
NX12 (Tc Integration)
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Phenom
Phenom

@Johnson_BigMatt @JosueVivas

There is nothing specific inside of Solid Edge but there is in Siemens Tecnomatix suite. 

Look for Variation Analysis or VSA. This tool is a very compehensive tool to find design variations and how those variations effect the overall design. 

My organization is the Siemens partner that handles this product. We've got a great series on MBQ/MBE that covers the topic you are asking about.

Introduction to VSA.

Pioneer
Pioneer

@RyanMtoo far away from getting teamcenter down here.  Smiley Indifferent

@Johnson_BigMatt2D tools will do as well. It doesn't have to be 3D.

But checking the tolerance stack up in assembly can assist to define the real accumulated tolerance in critical dimensions. 

Does SE has something like this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr_RtdJLWmM

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

https://www.varatech.com/solutions-solidedge.html#SigmundEdge

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional
Solid Edge 2019 (SEEC) - Production
NX12 (Tc Integration)
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Phenom
Phenom

@JosueVivas VSA is a stand alone, CAD neutral tool. You don't need Teamcenter, you don't need NX or SE. It helps because it will read the PMI directly into the tool..but you can also apply your tolerances and GD&T inside the tool.