Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geforce GTX1080Ti or Quadro P4000 --- same price --which difference might I feel in daily CAD usage?

Genius
Genius

Hi all

Comparing the two graphics adapter at nearly the same price

• Geforce GTX1080Ti: _11GB GDDR5/352bit/484Gb/s ;__CUDA 3584 parallel cores;___ca. 800€
  • Quadro P4000:_______8GB GDDR5/256bit/243Gb/s;___CUDA 1792 parallel cores;___ca. 900€

I learned that the

• GEFORCE has broader memory bandwidth and more GPU cores
  • QUADRO has some features for Alias-free line display and for optimized storage handling on multiwindows

But which graphics adapter of the two would feel better in the daily work on a workstation for CAD and simulation usage but without gaming ?

Will I feel anything at all of the additional memory band width and additonal cores of the GEFORCE during normal CAD usage or would I see better quality and reliability of the QUADRO ?

best regards

Hans

9 REPLIES

Re: Geforce GTX1080Ti or Quadro P4000 --- same price --which difference might I feel in daily CAD us

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Hans11

I would suggest Quadro as it is dedicated to CAD/Renderings/Simulation.

Regards,

Arek

Re: Geforce GTX1080Ti or Quadro P4000 --- same price --which difference might I feel in daily CAD us

Genius
Genius

Hi Arek, this sound reasonable to me too.

It would also be nice to hear from people which use the GEFORCE or the QUADRO, if they recognize something of the special features of them in daily work.

GEFORCE should be faster ... theoreticely ... but I also could imagine that even the "slower" QUADRO is that fast, that I would not feel any difference. It would be nice to hear if people hear agree with that.

Also I could imagine, that the quality of the "inferior" GEFORCRE also is such high, that I never would not see any difference in display quality or stability, compared to the QUADRO ... may be ....?

Any experience in that would be welcome.

best regards

Hans

Phenom
Phenom

A large part of the difference is in the drivers. Quadro cards are optimized for CAD/professional applications, and GEFORCE cards are not. I use a GTX970 in my home PC and get weird artifacts and view bugs occasionally. If you are choosing a card for a workstation and both are the same price, the Quadro card is a no-brainer. 

-Dylan Gondyke

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

And to further that, I believe in your other post about "freezing", @uk_dave provided links specifically outlining the differences...

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/PC-freezes-and-restarts-from-time-t...

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Genius
Genius

Hi Ken

Thank You for reminding the readers. I remember quite well that answer  and the document gave me good insight into the idea behind the different series. What I was asking here is, if this advantage of one over the other is felt in reality or if it's just more or less theory.

But an advanced question: Is the advantage of the better drivers of the QUADRO series fully in action same with all models of the series, beginning from the little P400 towards the stronger p4000? Does it mean that even the smallest of the adapters has the same increased precision and stability?

So may be the least of the adapters would work well enough for me, as right now I work with a GTX-660 and do not miss very much.

best regards

Hans

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Hans,

i work with Solid Edge for 3 years now and have experience with the new Geforce GTX 1070 8GB (2016), the Quadro´s FX 3800 1 GB (2009), M4000 8GB (2016) and K4200 4GB (2014). The Geforce-card is fast, but it´s a little annoying to work with it. It´s hanging instantly... The quadro-cards are all working fine. At work I used the FX 3800 and now the M4000. I am changing existing 3D-Datasets and building single parts, compare things and so on. For that work the M4000 is quite enough. Even the K4200, which i use on my "new" second PC at home is good enough for that. 

For my gaming-PC i want the nearly best i can get for two or three years, but if i would buy a Quadro, that is comparable to my Geforce GTX1070 in gaming(450 €), i would have to buy a P4000 (850 €) (a little bit slower than the 1070) or a P5000 (1950 €) (like the 1080). So i bought a used second PC with a older Quadro, because for my applications it is enough.

If you don´t miss very much with your GTX 660, i would suggest buying a used K4200 or K5000 (The K4200 is the newer one, but the performance is comparable). Both costs around 300 € on ebay.

Legend
Legend

My work computer has a Quadro M2200 and displays 200 unique part assemblies fairly smoothly and cleanly but after about 300 parts start to get choppy.

My home computer has a 1080Ti and can easily open assemblies with 1000 parts and is as smooth as my work computer with 10 parts.

Phenom
Phenom

We have Qudro K4000's here and work with assemblies of many thousands of parts without any real problems.

Ok, if you display everything at the top level its going to take a while but we rarely do that - there simply isn't really a need for it.

Whatever you use you should always be looking to reduce the load on the graphics card and SE has several features to help with that.

For normal use don't show textures, shadows, reflections, the 'glow' on highlighting, do use box display for parts, do use simplified parts etc....

Personally I would avoid GeForce cards for cad. If they work then fine, you are probably lucky, but I've seen so many graphics problems in the past that just went away when a certified card was used.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Genius
Genius

For anybody stumbling into this post I summarize some points about Quadro and Geforce cards, some were already mentioned here in this discussion, some I found elsewhere.

• Quadro are completely manufactured by NVidia. --- Geforce cards are built by various manufacturers. They only have in common the use of the Nvidia GPU but have other additional components. PNY is the wholesale dealer and support for the Quadro cards.
  • Quadro cards electronics is optimized for reliability instead of speed. Geforce cards are focussed on speed at cost of stability and visiual quality.
  • Quadro cards have a product cycle of 3 years, while Geforce have 6 months.
  • Quadro cards have a warrranty of 3 (5) years (optional). Geforce adapters warranty depends on the individual manufacturer (2-3years).
  • Quadro cards drivers are optimized for visual precision, Geforce prefers speed at the cost of detail precision.
  • Quadro card's drivers are maintenanced if problems become apparent or if new versions of licensed software requires adaptions.
  • Quadro P4000 is for high demands, P2000 works well for standard demands.
  • Quadro P4000 sync coordinates multiple graphic adapters
  • Quadro P4000 comes with 4 Display ports and 4 adapters DisplayPort to DVI-I

Best regards

Hans