Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: Geometric Tolerance question

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks @hawcad.

The mating face is actually the 2 faces that make up the 15 long section.

The groove in that face is for the location of a screw.

I'm not worried now as the drawings were issued last week and everyone is happy.

As you say, I should really show 'common zone' - but I doubt some of the fabricators would understand it anyway Smiley Frustrated.

I heard a story a few years ago about a fabricator that didn't really know what GT symbols were - so "we just do the best we can, because it must be important".

I've also worked for companies that actually discourage their use as manufacturers immediately increase their prices when they see them on a drawing !

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.
Highlighted

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @beachcomber

Yes this really is a big issue, but IMHO GT symbols are and will become more and more important.

There aer many situations of - as You mentioned - that people doesn't know the facts and therefore see something strange, something expensive with those symbols, what they infact are not.

Those dimesnions and tolerance standards IMHO makes the drawing issue a lot easier and a big easier and clearlier to understand and to reproduce.

So I only can work to make more people common to use that informations.

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@beachcomber wrote:

I heard a story a few years ago about a fabricator that didn't really know what GT symbols were - so "we just do the best we can, because it must be important".

I've also worked for companies that actually discourage their use as manufacturers immediately increase their prices when they see them on a drawing !

That kind of nonsense has been going on since the founding of GD&T.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200