Get Plane as NURBS surface

Creator
Creator

Hey guys,

I want to write a conversion library for most of the geometries into NURBS curves and surfaces. I finished the conversion for the real NURBS objects and now I arrived at a Plane object. Is there any easy way to create a NURBS out of it or do I have to do it by myself? As soon as the solid geometry gets more complex the conversion won't make that much fun, so before I start to struggle with it, I want to check if there is an easy way out. Smiley Happy

Thanks you very much!

Marcel

5 REPLIES

Re: Get Plane as NURBS surface

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Marcel,

I'm not sure I understand your problem exactly.  Are you trying to write a program using the API to do this?

Not sure if it helps but can't you save your Edge models as IGES files and use the option to write out all solids as NURBS.  You can open up the IGES text file then and interrogate it.  Not sure if this is more or less work than what you were going to do.

Just a thought (guess).

Frank

Edinburgh University
Highlighted

Creator
Creator

Hey Frank,

thank you for your response. I want to convert a SolidEdge Plane object to a NURBS surface definition. Of course, I can calculate the surface from the plane but is there a faster way respectively an implementation in the SolidEdge core already?

Regards

Marcel

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Marcel,

not that I know of but you might also want to post this question on the Solid Edge Developer Forum (if you haven't already of course).

HTH 

Frank

Edinburgh University

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm curius why you would want planes as NURBS (Non-uniform rational B-splines)

The reason to use NURBS is to gain control over the reflectance and curfature of the surface for say a car body panel. Imageware surfacer (Now called something else rolled into NX) is the best program for this.

At the low end of software, Rhino does a decent job of editing Nurbs as long as you keep the points under say 20,000 total.

I used Imageware to process laser scans when the target had curved surfaces for three years and hated waiting on the computer. Point clouds suck to process. With that software, you can handle clouds of 42,000,000 points (using 2001 hardware).

Creator
Creator

I need the NURBS representation to feed a library which works on these surfaces only. I am currently in the process of evaluating if SolidEdge is a valid software to write a plugin for. And the main purpose is to use the CAD functionality to create the surfaces and feed my plugin with them.

So the question is: can SolidEdge deliver NURBS surfaces/curves for every geometry type it supports?

I hope it's a little bit clearer now.

Regards

Marcel