Globoidal Cam

Hi ,

I am trying to make a globoidal cam in solid edge. I used trace path from DDM and traced the centre of the follower and then used sweep cut. The entry and exit point seems to be incorrect and causing interference.I tried tracing multiple points on the follower but still no luck. Cant use wrap sketch as my patch is not continuous.Can anybody help me how can we make globoidal cams in solid edge ST8. I have attached the file aswell for reference.

Thanks,

Balaji

4 REPLIES

Re: Globoidal Cam

There is a solution in ST9  - SOLID SWEEP   where you create the follower body and sweep it along the CAM path...  this will create the proper cut out for you...

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Hi thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately I don't have ST9

In solid sweep the tool wont turn as per the path ? Will it maintain its orientation ?

Below is a video of what I think you are asking for.

These are pretty tricky to make and I have not decided on the best technique.

I use ordered for these and for this case I create the top and bottom curves for the cylinders of the followers.
I then create a surface to thicken and subtract. I do this in the context of the ASM using the Variable Table motor and sketches to control dwell and timing. I then created constructions in the CAM file to create the curve.

This was done in ST10 so I cannot give you the files.

Unfortunately for this case the Solid Sweep command will not work because the cylinder
of the follower is changing position relative to the axis of the CAM cylinder. You can see this
from the video and the display of the centerline axis surfaces.

This can be done in ST8. Hopefully the video can give you an idea on how to do it.

Thanks,

Art

Hey Art,

Thanks for showing that this is possible. Yes its pretty tricky to make.

Can you please provide some insight on how you created the surfaces that you subtract from the cam.

Thanks