Good Profile database

Does anyone on here already have a good profile database for structural steel (Angle, c-channel, etc..).  I have to say, what came packaged with Solid Edge is kind of dissappointing.  Solid Works has a lot more (sorry previous SW user).

OR does anyone have a link to a good database? 

Currently, I go to Trace parts and get them, but thats a PIA.  I would need ANSI versions, not metric

Owner: Scott Lester Drafting & Design
Designer: Rotork Instuments
18 REPLIES

Betreff: Good Profile database

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @scott_lester

which license of Solid Edge do You use?

From Classic upwards You have the Solid Edge Standard Parts, which include IMHO all necessary profils in - I think - every size available.

regards
Wolfgang

ST8.  I dont know that we have Standard Parts installed come to think of it now that you mention it

Owner: Scott Lester Drafting & Design
Designer: Rotork Instuments
Highlighted

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

HI @scott_lester

good idea and I'm realtive confident thta after installation You get very happy!

Smiley Wink

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

It has been a long time since I bothered looking at the mechanical library, but unless it has been improved, I seem to recall the profiles for channels are not accurate for ANSI shapes with tapered flanges.

In our work we often need to cope a mating channel or plate to closely match the inside shape of a channel and the profiles provided are just not accurate. As I said, it has been a long time since I looked, but I want to say they did not even have the correct flange angle on them.

Typically, in structural work this is not a problem since you are generally using angle clips or just notching out the tops of the flanges to fit up correctly. But when you have a need for an accurate profile, I have found nothing out there short of modeling them myself.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I've always struggled with structural shapes because the specs have unknowns. For example, in the attached image from Machinery's Handbook, what is the taper angle on the flanges, what are the radii, what exactly is tf referring to?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

I have a 1978 Bethlehem Steel Structural Shapes booklet that provides a lot of the information needed to create an accurate model. For example, the flange slopes on most shapes is 16-2/3%.

It has a lot of information on most rolled shapes, but not everything. For example, on angles, it lists the inside radius of the angle but does not provide the toe radii. It is the best reference I have seen and originally came from a designer I worked with 20+ years ago. I copied it years ago and then scanned it to PDF.

I also have a 1989 version of the same booklet, but it does not have the smaller channel sizes listed and I often work with C3 and C4 channels, so I find it a little less useful.

I am happy to share it, but I would need to email it to you as even zipped it is probably too large to attach here.

Bob Henry

Phenom
Phenom

I guess it was not too large after all.

Bob Henry

Phenom
Phenom

Here is the 1989 vintage as well. It is a cleaner copy.

Bob Henry

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@rehenryjr, Thanks for uploading that. It's one of the best references I've seen. But it still lacks completeness IMO and as you state. I guess the gray areas are open to manufacturing decision? I'm not sure how you could ever define accurate coping details for channels with tapers for example.

I notice my photo attachment didn't complete for some reason but I guess it doesn't matter as you understood what I meant.

Where did you derive that 16-2/3 angle spec?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200