Betreff: Good Profile database

Phenom
Phenom

The flange angle is cited on the pages of the Bethlehem Booklet for shapes with angled flanges. 

For example, for American Standard Shapes (S), page 48 and for standard channels, page 52.

Other values that are less important like the toe radii of angles are contained in other applicable specifications that control the rolling of the shapes. 

At any rate, these booklets have allowed me the accuracy I have need for our work.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I elected to go for the fundamental license rather than classic. The main difference is the standard shapes and fasteners. I prefer to make parts with the right names and complexity. 

This took some doing, but attached are all the "frame files" that I use as cross sections for frames. They have embedded part numbers from our numbering system under the custom property "SHAPE"

L = Angle

C = Channel

P = Pipe

HSS = Hollow structural shape

T = Tube

H = Hose

All of the radius of steel shapes are at the large end of the tolerance range except angles. For angles I make sure the front lip has a flat spot for mates.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@12GAGE  Thanks for uploading that. When you say "All of the radius of steel shapes are at the large end of the tolerance range except angles" what are you referring to for tolerances?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The radius on tubes are larger than what we recieve. 

I know there is a large range of acceptable radius on all the steel shapes

The real numbers are not free, ANSI makes you pay lots for the details. AISC info on sections is close enough.

What I did do,

2. force a few flat edges that don't really exist on angles for mates, then dialed in the weight

3. channels have the correct side slop and web thickness, then I dialed in the weights

4. Tubes do not have the weights dialled in, just thickness and a usable radius that's typically too large.

Those are all the shapes I actually use. I made them all from scratch.

Re: Good Profile database

Phenom
Phenom

Like 12 years ago I decided that when I was making any angle, channel or W beam that instead of making it for my current project, first I would create the profile and extrude it, then I would save it as what it was....i.e. W6x12, C4x5.4, L2x2x.25 etc. and take that part and put it into a folder that I put into my user templates. Sounds like that would take forever right? Well today it has something like 400 entries, and I cannot think of the last time I went to create a piece of shape steel that I didn't find in that directory. So that's what I would suggest. I got my channel profiles from autocad mechanical usually, drew the W-beams from a list I have that tells the actual height width web flange thcknessess even radii.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Phenom
Phenom

Find attached my library. All profiles are titled pretty self explanatory, and all of them have set as their material what the shape is.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@nominus38, Thanks for sharing your work too! There's a lot of value in it for someone starting their structural library.

Not looking a gift horse in the mouth I downloaded yours and @12GAGE's for future reference.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thanks for uploading Nominus38. I was hoping others would upload what they have after uploading what I have. It takes time to organize the details like this. I wish others had posted like this when I was getting started with SE.

Perhaps we should ask for a Forum stickie with referance files people are willing to to offer.

1D: Gage files

2D: Frame/profile/Shape files

3D: Part files

Template files: Draft, Part, Sheet, Assy

Setup files: Tables, Parts lists, Menu setups, callouts, etc.....

like this idea!

Owner: Scott Lester Drafting & Design
Designer: Rotork Instuments