Graphic connection to assembly

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

How does one go about displaying information based on an inserted assembly just like graphic connection to part? Do I have to use blocks for that kind of variable flow?

Note: I'm on ST7, has this been solved in ST8?

24 REPLIES

Re: Graphic connection to assembly

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

More likely "named reference" or "index reference" as graphic connection to part applies only to parts. Graphic connection to assembly would be nice but then what level of assembly?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The point of the desired reference is so the program tells me what assembly it is and displays that in draft. Using named or index reference defeats the point.

So my question really is, should I turn every assembly that really is a part we stock and use on many products in to a block so that I can have the draft show be what the assemblies name and number is?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Your precise intent and desired methodology is not clear. Nor is it clear why named or index ref defeats you. I assumed you wanted to use a callout pointing to it with a property determining the content.

What are you trying to do?

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm trying to point to a sub assembly (callout) , and display the sub assemblies name and number without knowing anything about the sub assembly. There is no "From graphic connection to assembly" option. trying to determine the work around. Graphic connection, and graphic connection to part only display information about one part of a sub assembly, not the entire sub assembly that happens to be a stock part in my case.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

"From Graphic Connection" should work.

Edit: Ok, you're right. That only works on the first level, not subs. IOW it won't go to a third level deep. i.e. If a sub has a sub.

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend

Try this, it works in my assembly drawing, pointing to a sub-assembly, it tells me the part number and title (description) of that sub-assembly.

%{Document Number|G}
%{Title|G}

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm getting closer. The problem is that the entire view is nothing but the sub assembly. The "View" section of properties does not include Document Number or Title.

Legend
Legend

What do you mean: "The "View" section of properties does not include Document Number or Title."

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor