Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Graphic connection to assembly

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

???? The view properties aren't supposed to contain anything but what's shown.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend

Did you use the script I shared? I think it's all pulling from graphic connection.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

that was the point. There is graphic connection to part and graphic connection. In the case where a sub assembly is the "stocked part" I want to show the welder what the part looks like and label it so they can find it on the shelf or ask for the correct part. Only having it's information in the parts list is not enough. And since I can't label things with part number and be consistent (I expect the same issues with part numbers if I could use). The problem still exists.

How do I show the name and number of a sub assembly within a draft without knowing exactly what it is myself. Knowing what it is can be found by opening the model and looking at it, but that's the extra step I'm trying to avoid. When drafting, I try to stay in draft and let the program do as much of the work as possible. Much of the time annotation can get it done.

Legend
Legend

"Knowing what it is can be found by opening the model and looking at it, but that's the extra step I'm trying to avoid."

The script I shared should give you the information within your sub-assemblies properties. It works correctly on my assembly that has a sub-assembly. Are you telling us that you have an assembly, with a sub-assembly, and you want to know the part number and descritpion of that sub-assembly, or not? This has taken a lot of posts to really understand what you're looking for, so please help us help you.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

I guess that's why folks use BOMs and items. You could add a column to the BOM which shows the part file name or whatever it is you want. But the item will be the key.

And @BoatTech the graphic connection only works on one level. You can't grab the properties of a subassembly inside a subassembly. You would have to use named reference. But then you have to know what you're after beforehand.

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend

I guess I saw nothing that said there was a problem getting properties of a sub-assembly within another sub-assembly anywhere in these 2 pages of posts. My fault............

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

If you find a way let us know.

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I did'nt see any scrip attached to this thread. I have not been addressing other threads for the past few hours. Also doing work.

It's good to know exactly what is causing the problem; thank you. Now I know. every one of my single parts is also it's own assembly for a variety of reasons. Then when I combine two of those into a new part, I have created this problem. Now that I'm aware, I can re-organize the parts for those specific models where we stock (draft) both the sub parts, and a subassembly consisting of those parts. May making the sub assembly directly from the original sheet metal parts, I can make the reference work.

Making the assembly reference limited to a single level was never a suspect for me so I did not think to bring it up. An assembly is an assembly. Now I now there are first level assemblies and others to keep track of how they can be used.

The cost is I must create one Assembly for making the drawing, and another to be inserted into other assemblies. I already have that problem with single sheet metal parts I need to draft for stocking our shelves. The drawing needs the cut sizes and made from material, the assembly shows the finished part number made from the drawing.

Phenom
Phenom

A similar problem exists with the top level of an an assembly drawing.

You can add the top level as the first item in the parts list but it doesn't get an item number (why?)and you can't reference its properties directly like with connection to graphic part (have to use index or named reference)

We often detail several assemblies on one drawing and have to identify each with a balloon and description (customer requirement) so these have to be manually inserted.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

@12GAGE "The cost is I must create one Assembly for making the drawing, and another to be inserted into other assemblies." Dare I ask why?

and @BoatTech was referring to his post on page 1 I think where he included:

%{Document Number|G}
%{Title|G}

@beachcomber Similar situation here. Not because of external customers. It's just the way drawings have always been done.

Edit: yesterday I thought there was a difference between graphic connection and graphic connection to part. But now I'm not seeing a difference.

Also not clear on what index reference is for.

Bruce Shand