Graphics card or RAM?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey!

If you had to choose:

-4 GB RAM and integrated graphics card

-8 GB RAM and dedicated  graphics card (sth about NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M)

If most 'power needed' use of computer is Solid Edge what would you choose?

6 REPLIES

Re: Graphics card or RAM?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Filip,

A lot depends upon what types of parts you will be designing in Solid Edge with it.

If only from those two choices, definately the 8GB + GF-GT750M.......not the most ideal CAD graphics card/chip, but will "usually" offer greater performance than integrated.

Having said that, I run Solid Edge full time on a Microsoft Surface Pro3 [i7, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD], and I find, for the most part, the integrated Intel HD-5000 chip is equal to, or in some cases, even out performs my previous desktop workstation with i7 [2.8GHz],12GB ram, Quadro FX1800 & 512GB-SSD.

Further, don't discount the performance advantage of Solid State Drive [SSD], and also, try to get the fastest CPU clock speed [GHz] you can.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Builder
Builder

I am not familiar with the GE Force cards running SE but I have recently seen an integrated card and 8GB RAM have anomolies like when accessing the radial menu, the background around the radial menu is different from the actual graphics it resides over. Not an issue for function but can be annoying.

You will also see graphics performance degredation with an integrated card.

This has been my experience so far. I'm sure others will have better information.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I made a mistake... I mean:

-4 GB RAM and dedicated  graphics card (sth about NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M)

-8 GB RAM and integrated graphics card

Main usage would be for molding and metallurgy.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Filip wrote:

I made a mistake... I mean:

-4 GB RAM and dedicated  graphics card (sth about NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M)

-8 GB RAM and integrated graphics card

Main usage would be for molding and metallurgy.

@Filip,

In that case, [at a push] I would lean towards the dedicated graphics version...so long as it also has the same or better, CPU speed.

As, it is likely you could easily & inexpensively upgrade the RAM yourself, by replacing the module[s].....so long as the system board will accept it higher capacity modules.

Could you possible state the exact make & model# of the laptop you are selecting?.....and I could look it up for you, to see if it's possible.

Sean Cresswell

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Aren't the GeForce cards more for gaming and video performance?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @bshand......yup.

Having said that, I would've NEVER expected the onboard Intel [like in the "Surface" range] chipset to support Solid Edge as well as it does either, so I guess, the game has changed a bit recently.

Which in itself means, for those of us that don't always make large assemblies, or heavily featured & detailed models/assemblies, what seems like a lesser system, could actually pass for certain roles in the user chain.

It is obviously also important to have a optimized [ballanced] system...even down to the NIC for network data transfer, and the same for any network storage devices. [Server or NAS]

It would be a risk to try it out though @Filip, as it may end up, NOT working well at all. Not all computers are created equal, even though they spec out similar.

Sean Cresswell