Great Demo of Synchronous

If you want to know what all the fuss is about and have not really seen/tried Synchronous, the one video to watch is here --> http://sie.ag/1JtEOIg 

Watch the "Editing Impored 3D  CAD Data" video. Yes, its a demo. Are things always this rosy? No, it's software. Is everything shown real? no smoke and mirrors? Yes. 

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development
24 REPLIES

Re: Great Demo of Synchronous

[ Edited ]

Dan,

Great demo. But in the real world Solid edge shines just as easily... and more so.

I had my Sheet Metal Vendor ask me yesterday to look at 2 SolidWorks (brackets) Parts that he needed to make. But even as a SW user, he could not turn them into flat patterns. So I pulled them into SE as SM parts and with one command laid it flat...

He was stunned!

2 parts in 3 minutes and he was on his way.  And then I made him promise to download the 45 FREE trial

Here's one of his simple parts turned into Sheet Metal in a few seconds.

[ Edited ]

No doubt he was stunned, your example is amazing Bob.

Here's another case of a stubborn SW user who was adamant that ST was nothing more than some direct edit. Then I showed him this example at hand about modifying an imported piece of geometry.

"How is that even possible...?" was the initial reaction, while he promised to come back with something similar in SW and I am still waiting. Sure if he gets back with some solution, it won't be without slapping at least few more children in the history tree.

+ we are also going to compare model rebuild (file open) times and file sizes. I feel these are also important factors beyond the WOW elements.

Below is a video and here's the full SE ST tip.

~Tushar Suradkar

Solid Edge Users Facebook Group

I have always wondered at those who don't have time to learn Synchronous. It IS the reason I bought into SE back just before ST1 and I have seen nothing that would convince me this was a mistake.

My question for those who have not used ST after they see first hand what I show them is how can you afford to continue wasting time by not buying or learning ST? It is always funny to see the jaws drop.

I have some Mechanical Desktop and Inventor files I am working with currently and SE walks circles around what these guys do on their parts and that is after I import them. SW guys are fun to work with to.

https://solidedging.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/solid-edge-st6-direct-editing-and-some-observations/

[ Edited ]

The main problem I have is that some commands work differently, or are not available, between ordered and sync modes.

For example, there is no chamfer command in sync sheet metal but there is in ordered.

I have a large hole in a sheet metal part and I want to chamfer the edge.

I can add a start chamfer to the hole but not an exit chamfer in sync, but I can add both/either in ordered.

There has to be consistency.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

[ Edited ]

beachcomber wrote:

The main problem I have is that some commands work differently, or are not available, between ordered and sync modes.

For example, there is no chamfer command in sync sheet metal but there is in ordered.

I have a large hole in a sheet metal part and I want to chamfer the edge.

I can add a start chamfer to the hole but not an exit chamfer in sync, but I can add both/either in ordered.

There has to be consistency.

While I agree with what you're saying, as there are some limitations with Sync Sheet Metal at this time.....there is a chamfer option in the "break corner" ribbon bar....still requires a transision to ordered mode to get "Face" applied [post processed] chamfers on the model edges.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Thanks Sean,

I don't want to turn this thread away from its original intent with a discussion on what works/doesn't work in sync.

However, just to clarify, the break corner chamfer option does not work around the edge of a sheet metal part, only across a corner. You could say it only works across the thickness.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Here is another great sync video I found today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbkaLNfNrQQ&feature=youtu.be

Roger

That last video is great thanks for that.

I have a question though... when modifying the link it showed how easy it was to remove the jog (about 38mins in) in the bracket by deleting the 20mm rads. How would you add a jog simply to the bracket if you were to start with two straight sections (as per the finished model)?

Hope that makes sense.

thanks

G

Redcad

Just create a cut in the part (you can also use the split command but once done you will have to reunite) fence select the loose end and move with the steering wheel, then loft between the two faces.  Apply the offset relationship per the video to achieve uniform thickness.

If you applied your rounds in ordered (best practice) then it is just a matter of editing and selecting the extra edges.

Roger