Greenpower USA Kicks of in Huntsville Alabama!

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Solid Edge Fans,

This weekend 14 schools participated in the successful Greenpower USA Exhibition Race held at Grissom High School in Huntsville. Even after rescheduling the event due to weather, it still received a huge turnout and NATIONAL MEDIA COVERAGE from Alabama to North Carolina to Colorado to California and more. I went to the event and was blown away by the number of folks that turned out and how much fun everyone had. 

[BTW, Grissom High School in HSV now has THREE 3D printers, one of which can print Titanium parts, plus a huge AutoClave for curing their carbon fiber racer! Yes. This is High School.]

The Greenpower program gets students -- starting as early as Grade 4 (!) interested in STEM by building and racing their very own electric powered racer. And oh, by the way, Solid Edge is the software of choice -- and of course free to all students. 

Here is the car that won the F24 category with 111 laps in the 90 minute endurance race. Built by a bunch of Middle School (6-8 grade), yes, Middle School, kids. 

ScreenHunter_299 Apr. 27 15.48.jpg

And here you see some of the younger ones racing -- 4-6 graders in the Formula Goblin category. Can you imagine building and racing this type of vehicle in the 5th grade? Awesome. 

ScreenHunter_299 Apr. 27 15.49.jpg

So first of all, let's just enjoy the moment -- kids learning to love engineering by DOING engineering. That is sweet. Now, let's build on it. Go here to learn more:

http://www.greenpowerusa.net/ and http://www.greenpower.co.uk/.

And if you want to get involved, I would like to personally help you do so. Drop me a line at dan.staples@siemens.com. I hope to get my daughter's 4th grade class building one next year, so we can learn together how to make this happen!

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development
1 REPLY

Re: Greenpower USA Kicks of in Huntsville Alabama!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'd love to be a kid again, and to be immersed in this sort of environment at school........just incredible!  THIS is how to inspire young engineering minds!

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10