Solved! Go to solution

[HELP]How to constrain this knuckle joint assembly for FE stress analysis.

I don't do much simulation work, but I am learning fea in solid edge right now. I thought it'll be easy and solid edge will handle most stuff, but it isn't. lol. How do I give assembly constrains in following figure? Brief guide would be helpful Smiley Happy

4 REPLIES

Re: [HELP]How to constrain this knuckle joint assembly for FE stress analysis.

i'll let others chime in on how to constrain this in the study.  constraing in SE native is pretty straight forward.  but im not what may/maynot be important in the study.

if you dont get any replies..  try the FEMAP forum directly  here:  http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Femap-Discussion-Forum/bd-p/femap-forum

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author nemesis
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

As a first attempt......
Assuming the two forces you have already applied are equal then delete one of these and replace it with a fixed constraint.
You could then use Automatic Assembly constraints between the 3 parts (assuming these are available in ST7).
If you need to save computation time you could also fill the hole in that's in the pin and possibly chop off some other superfluous bits of metal (chop off the parts past the octagonal sections?).

Frank
Edinburgh University

Thank you! Any online video/textual guide for learning some basics of simulation in SE?

I don't know of any good video material that would be of much use but the best place IMO is the Solid Edge Help. Open 'Help' and go to 'Open Solid Edge Help' then navigate to 'Validating a Design'. Then use 'Practice creating and using studies'. It's available at:
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/108/help/#uid:index_sesim:activity1a

There are also some good materials available from the Solid Edge University events that are available (can't remember where) for advanved stuff.

HTH

Frank
Edinburgh University