Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO COMPARE TWO PARTS/MODELS

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello

Anybody know how to compare geometry of two models?

In Sw it wroks like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgzZAQiw-oY

11 REPLIES 11

Re: HOW TO COMPARE TWO PARTS/MODELS

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

There is no way to compare models only drawings in Solid Edge... Smiley Sad It would be very useful and time saver... Try to use boolean operation...

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

as @Imics suggest boolean operation is your best bet.

add the 2 parts in an assy and overlay them based on known similar geometry.

you will need to booleans both ways...   body > tool and tool > body to see both sets of + and -

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional
Solid Edge 2019 (SEEC) - Production
NX12 (Tc Integration)
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Imics schrieb:

Hi,

There is no way to compare models only drawings in Solid Edge... Smiley Sad It would be very useful and time saver... Try to use boolean operation...

BR,

Hi @Imics,

... what can lead into unresolvable situations if there are those non-manifold geometry issues.

And they will be there very soon, due to the compared bodies are equal the most.

I only remember a model compare software of a company, that does not longer exist, a couple of years ago.

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Johnson_BigMatt, @Imics 

If you subtract one part from another it changes the original part. So do you mean just do it temporarily in an assembly for examination only and don't save?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@hawcad FYI the Teamcenter Visualization tools provide functionality to overlay and compare the differences between models.  

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I also wish we had a tool built in.

You could try creating an assembly of the first part then drag in the second part while holding the Ctrl key.

That will place it at the origin.

Then run Check Interference command with the create part option.

You can play with setting colors of the components to help you see the difference.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Phenom
Phenom

@uk_dave I was wondering if someone was going to mention Teamcenter Vis tools. User should really understand the power in these tools. Teamcenter Visualization Professional, which is sold as a standalone product has many functions for visualization, analysis (2D and 3D compare), ability to transform, create illustrations with thrust lines, direct reader of NX and Solid Edge files, embedding JT in MS documents, etc.

It's a nice visualization tools set using a JT backbone. 

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@RyanM absolutely agree.  Unfortunately I sometimes think the name scares people aware -- anything branded "Teamcenter" carries a reputation with it. The Teamcenter Visualization tools, just as standalone software, are powerful tools and do not require Teamcenter to use. Obviously, if embedded into the Teamcenter database then the Visualization tools become even more powerful. 

Phenom
Phenom

You have to remember, this is exactly what SW is doing. It's just doing it for you in the background. Also, as I recall for SW this only works for part files.

There is also a similar function inside of NX in the HD3D area named Visual Reporting functions that does the similar function. Now, before you go nuts on me because I mentioned NX, Visual Reporting, I believe, isn't specifically a NX function, it's Teamcenter visualization tools. Maybe the Visual reporting will come to Solid Edge soon, too?