Hanging .cfg files

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Anyone know if there's a way to track down hanging .cfg files - files that are no longer related to a .asm?

Edit: Even the ability to do a where-used would be helpful. But you can't.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
16 REPLIES

Re: Hanging .cfg files

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Never really understood the need to have the configuration file external of the assembly file....especially when you cant do anything with it outside of SE.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I second that emotion.

Bruce Shand

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

once you delete a sub that has it's own config's. thouse config's delete also. don't there's such a thing as "hanging .cfg file" if theres such i a thing, show me..Smiley Happy

Phenom
Phenom

When the .cfg is deleted, the Configurations drop-down is not displayed from the File Open dialog. I would still like to know about hanging cfg files.

noconfig.png

~Tushar

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

TDB,

"once you delete a sub that has it's own config's. thouse config's delete also. don't there's such a thing as "hanging .cfg file" if theres such i a thing, show me"

I'm not sure what you're saying. A "sub" (assuming you mean subassy but why use that term? Just say assy) can have many named configurations in it but it only has one associated .cfg file which contains the configuration(s) information. It's a separate file and can certainly be left hanging if one deletes the .asm and neglects to delete .cfg. You can show yourself that.

My question asks if there is a way to either find .cfg files without parent .asm files or do a where used on a .cfg file to verify that it's not an orphan. Ideally configurations would be embedded in assembly files and not dependent on a separate .cfg file.

And Tushar, of course the open dialog won't have configurations to choose from if the .cfg file has been deleted. Configurations are not embedded in SE like they are in SW. Of course, if you open and save the assembly SE will create a new .cfg file but with only one default configuration.

Bruce Shand

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

bshand. just do a search in solid edge help for the word "Subassemlby" it will come up with all kinds of stuff. The word "sub" as always been the short for "Subassemlby". least here in my industry

back to your OP.

I don't have a good answer for you. you can have old cfg's hanging around in your folders after delete from the assembly. but those confg's shouldn't have a affect on your assembly. only way it could be done is if you browse and put one in yourself. i not sure why you would do that.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The "affect on my assembly" was never mentioned and it isn't the point of my question. My question is about finding and getting rid of hanging .cfg files because I don't want hanging .cfg files in the database.

My point about saying "subassembly" instead of just "assembly" is that it's irrelevant whether or not it's a subassembly in the context of the discussion. That's all...

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks Bruce for your reply in message #6

I was not aware that .CFG files do not go away automatically with their parent ASMs.

Attached is a small utility called PurgeSEConfigFiles.ex_ inside the .zip which needs to be renamed to .exe

Place the exe in the folder where dangling .CFG files needs to be eliminated. The program will also look in all sub folder beneath, find all .CFG files with no parent .ASM files in the respective folders and delete the .CFGs.

I have tested it and you too check the program with some dummy data before using.

Keeping configurations separate from the model must be having some well thought out justification which is known to those who have been in development ever since or someone who has a good downstream purpose for it. I am curious to know if any one would post it here.

~Tushar

www.SurfAndCode.in

[EDIT] The way the program was written, in a hurry, you may end up copying the exe file in several places where the CFGs need to be purged. This is good in a way in that you can occassionally visit all those folders and just run the program sitting in the folder and it will rinse the entire folder structure of any dangling CFGs.  Robot Happy

If anyone needs any other modification or change in method of usage kindly reply.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, Tushar, it's touche again. I'll check it out.

"Keeping configurations separate from the model must be having some well thought out justification..." 

hahaha...good one! That's putting a positive spin on it. I'm thinking it's a legacy goof up. I stand ready to be corrected.

Bruce Shand