Hard ware for Solid Edge?

Builder
Builder

I have built a gaming pc with the following specs

• pentium g3258 OC to 4.6 GHz (dual core)
  • r7 260x graphics card
  • 4 gb ddr3 1600 ram

Will this run solid edge well? I am not sure if it is a single threaded program or not. I have read cad modeling is usually largely single threaded. Rendering is largely multithreaded. I will only be designing sheet metal parts. If it is single threaded this pc should run the program better than a 4 core xeon processor thanks to my super overclock right?

10 REPLIES

Re: Hard ware for Solid Edge?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

For the most part Solid Edge is single threaded.  Hardware wise, hard drive, graphics card and memory are the areas of concentration for Solid Edge.

8GB RAM minimum

Fastest hard drive you can afford, prefereably an SSD

Workstation class graphics (see support site: http://support.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/certification/Graphics_Certification_Table.xl...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Gaming graphics cards are not recommended for CAD. Some excellent articles over at Toms Hardware explain why. Like Ken says more memory and an SSD if you can do it. You can do basic stuff with this rig in SE though so unless you get into more complicated things you will be OK.

One of the areas you might consider if you are ever going to machine or cut parts in the future with a CAM program is more cores are better here. CAM can use multicore if written right and it dramatically speeds things up.

Phenom
Phenom

ST6 and ST7 have significantly improved graphics performance with 'gaming' cards, though in general this performance is still inconsistent and varies wildly from setup to setup. Ditch it and get a workstation card if you want to do serious work with it.

-Dylan Gondyke

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I just did my homework on this one. I'm making the assumption of using a pertly checking video card (that is not required for SE, but makes it more stable)

The best two buys are:

Xi computers:

Pros: best bang for the buck

Cons: Risk of dead on arrival, system not fully tested before shipping

Boxx computers:

Pros: Fastest machine at given configuration, system tested before shipping. On SE approved vendor list

Cons: Expencive (but faster than a Dell, lenovo, rave, alienware, or HP at same price)

Other suppliers on the approved render list, and why I didn't consider them:

Dell, Lenovo, HP  ---were not configurable to past 4 Ghz, very expensive for the speed.

It's all about the speed of the one core you use:

CPU: as fast as you can get. 4.5 GHz is best stable config. 4 Core is plenty.

RAM: At least 8, 16 much better, past 32 does not do much good.

VID: Nvidia Radeon: At least K2200, Past K4200 does not do much good.

Hard drive: Get raid 0, preferably two Solid state drives.

I7 better than Xeon (unless you do a lot of rendering and FEA)

leave hyperthreading off. (unless you do a lot of rendering and FEA)

Yes Xeons have a larger buffer and memory system, but that's not the limiting factor. CPU is.

Open your unitlity monitor, and do some normal work while watching your CPU and video load. The CPU load will max aout 25% to 30% (if you have 4 CPU's) because one CPU is your limiting factor. Nothing else will show up maxed.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What the heck is this?:  "pertly checking video card"

Thanks,
Ken

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

What the heck is this?:  "pertly checking video card"

that is the differance between a CAD and other vid card. The Quadro line of Nvidia are all "perity checking" vid cards. To do that, the ram it uses does a check sum for every operation, in essence check it's self for every operations.

This is why CAD cards cost 2X's as much as non CAD cards.

All cards did this until Matrox about 1993 figured out they could get better scores by eliminating the check sum (perity check). Then everybody started doing that and CAD cards became seporate from gaming cards.

3D labs wrote the CAD driving most of us use today. They had the best cards, but Nvidia stole there drivers, and put 3D labs out of business. They won a law suite,Nvidia paid, but they didnt care. They won the CAD market as a result.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Aha...you mean, "Parity Checking"....spelling is everything. Robot Embarassed

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ken,

Pertly is how your wife did things when young. Not so much now that we are approaching birthdays after that senior citizen discount starts working.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Actually there are many differences between workstation cards and consumer cards in what is handled by the GPU.  I'm not sure ECC vs. non-ECC memory is a differentiator anymore.  Here is a link to an NVIDIA paper explaining the differences between it's GeForce and Quadro line of processors.  The reason the cost more will become clear as you read the document.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_geforce.html

Thanks,
Ken