Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Requirements of Solid Edge ST10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello there!

I was recently tasked by an acquaintance to upgrade his PC so he could run  Solid Edge ST10 on it. He needs to use it for his university, and the universities PCs use an i3-4160 CPU. The program runs fine on there, but we do not know whether a GPU is in the PCs or not.

I planned to replace his current CPU (Pentium G840) with an i5-2400 or i5-3570. They roughly have the same specs as his old processor and should be enough on that front. Question is whether Solid Edge ST10 indeed needs and uses a GPU, or whether an iGPU will be enough for the program to run fine. Does anyone have experience with ST10 on low-end systems and the respective performance?

Thanks for any help.

4 REPLIES 4

Betreff: Hardware Requirements of Solid Edge ST10

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Mantelmann

besides the fact that You never ever can have enough power under Your seat, I have seen good performance of Solid Edge together with integrated graphic systems like the Intel Onboard Graphics.

So I am by myself using a tablet - when traveling aroung - similar to the Surface Pro types with an I5 processor and an integrated graphics (believe it is a H520 or so).

And this small and lightweight computer does a real good job for Solid Edge, as long as You do not have oversized assemblies in use.

I have worked with ASM of approx. 500 - 1000 parts and this was not the issue, works pretty fine.

As I remember, with beginning of ST8 or ST9 the developement tried to optimize SE for usage on tablets like the MS Surface etc.

And I suppose this to be the reason that SE astonished me on "non graphic worksattion" types of computers.

But if there is any possibilty to get a little better config, so just take it!

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Hardware Requirements of Solid Edge ST10

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

ST10 Install Requirements 

Min requirements and performance are totally different.

In a business environment, I would never suggest running SE w/o a dedicated GPU... 

For academic use or where the budget is concerned...   get by with what you have until you run into a performance wall that demands more.   

For "simple" parts and small assys you should be ok.  but larger assys, complex models, multi-page drawings you may start to notice performance degradation. 

RAM is cheap and good low hanging fruit and CPU speed is important to consider if overclocking is a possibility. 

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional
Solid Edge 2019 (SEEC) - Production
NX12 (Tc Integration)
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Re: Hardware Requirements of Solid Edge ST10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for your answering,

the person I am building the PC for is in the second or third semester of university, so I couldn't really say that massive tasks will face him. I think the CPU should be enough for that, though I will consider replacing RAM and investing in a better cooler to maybe overclock a bit, if he feels like clock speed isn't enough yet. Thanks for clearing up the GPU question!

Highlighted

Betreff: Hardware Requirements of Solid Edge ST10

Experimenter
Experimenter
Using a tablet sounds interesting, I will propose that idea to him, portability is never bad after all. My acquaintance is in the second or third semester of university, so there won't be any huge projects where he will need more, so the iGPU should be enough for now.
But I think I will stay low with the price, he didn't give me any budget and I don't want to strain him.

Thanks for answering!