Hardware and Menu speed

Phenom
Phenom

I'm shopping for a new CPU for SE. 

While talking with Boxx computers they stated that for SE, the video card is not the limiting factor (Say a Quadro 2200 VS 5200) but that the CPU clock speed is the limiting factor for SE. Get the clock speed and save money on the Vi d card.

What balance CPU vs Vic card have any of you found give the best performace?

Let's say I get a new high powered machine. Can I turn the menu delay's off? Remeber back in early windows AutoCAD when tweek UI came out allowing you to turn the menu delays to 0. A tree of menues would pop out instantly. Is there a way to do that with Solid Edge? Im looking for about a 20X's increase in menu reaction speed.

2 REPLIES

Re: Hardware and Menu speed

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

We stick to the mid-range cards, so a Quadro K1100M in the laptops (15.6" display) and a Quadro K2200 in the desktops.

As far as a menu delay, I'm not seeing that here.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Re: Hardware and Menu speed

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

12GAGE wrote:

While talking with Boxx computers they stated that for SE, the video card is not the limiting factor (Say a Quadro 2200 VS 5200) but that the CPU clock speed is the limiting factor for SE. Get the clock speed and save money on the Vi d card.

Hi there,

They are [BOXX], for the most part, right.....CPU clock speed is king, as most intense processes are single threaded in SE, so the higher GHz, then the faster the completion time. It is also about ballance across, not only your system , but the network interface & connected devices too.

Installing more grunt in some areas, usually exposes weaknesses in others. Some trade off's will need to be made, due to the method of data transfer, etc....not just the raw, momentary task crunching.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10