Hardware part

I'm wondering if using the "Hardware part" check box will solve a problem I typically have.

In general, I have two kinds of model files. Static parts and resizable assemplies of sheet metal. The best example of a static part is a coupling (welded into sheet metal).

When I copy an assembly with revision manager, my static parts also get copied because other parts are referancing information from the static part. I was hoping to only keep a single copy of "static parts" on my system. Having all models point to the single file. 

If I call the staic parts a hardware part, does that eliminate the desire of the revision manager system to copy parts that are referanced in an assembly?

3 REPLIES

Re: Hardware part

No. I believe the "Hardware Part" switches only purpose is to flag the part so that when you use the option in Draft to not section Hardware, the part is not sectioned.

You just need to not select those components in Revision Manager when copying a structure.  We have the same issue with what we call "Standard Parts".

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

If you don't copy the "standard part" don't you lose the connection
referenced geometry on those parts?

If you are referencing geometry from those standard parts, then no you do not lose the connection.  The connection and structure is maintained (they are not removed in the new structure, just not renamed/copied).

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10