Solved! Go to solution

Having trouble making a section view for a specific part

Hi everybody!

I'm using SE ST6 MP13 and here's my trouble.

I'm making a draft for a part i designed and when it comes to section views, it takes a great amount of time (~30 minutes), and my PC is fast - Core i7, 16 GB RAM) for Solid Edge to generate or update a section view. I wouldn't call this part big and it doesn't contain any complex geometry.

I tried to convert this part to STEP and back to Solid Edge and still had the same trouble.

The part and the draft are included, i would like to see some useful feedback from experienced users, why there is such a slowdown with this part. Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by dcstaples (Community Manager)
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Having trouble making a section view for a specific part

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I think the problem may be in your draft file itself (or in your template).

When I open your draft, it takes forever to process (actually, I've killed the process because it was too long).

When I copy your drawing view and paste it in our template, everything works perfectly.  It only takes few millisecond to generate the section view.

When I started a new draft using our template, everything works perfectly also.

I will suggest to copy the view to a new draft or to creating a new draft for test purposes using your template.

If it doesn't work, try with one of the supplied template in the Solid Edge folder.

It will help you determine if the draft have the problem or if it's in the template.

Regards,

Michel Corriveau

ST7 MP6

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your reply, Michel!

I actually tried this with different templates that come with ST6, not only with this one (which is stock "metric draft" template).

I suspect the problem could be with my Solid Edge version (i see you are using ST7). I gave the part to a friend of mine who still uses a good old v20 and he had no problems making section views in it.

Update: tried with "ansi draft (mm)" template and it worked like a charm! Now i have to figure out where is the difference and make my template work properly.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author max_power
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

I finally managed to localize the problem, "Hatch ribs in section views" option was the reason. When switched to "Hatch", it works fast like lightning, with "No hatch" you have to wait for 30 minutes until the section view is generated.

Still don't know, why there's such a difference with this particular part. 

If I recall correctly the development details, generating an unhatched rib is very pesky. i believe we have to suppress the feature, cut the section and unsuppress it again and then some other mess. That is a bunch more going on. Maybe something in he recompute of this part that makes the suppress very slow or something. I'm betting if you go into the feature tree and suppress the rib you might see a simlar issue.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development