Help? How to create a plane in context?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi, I'm trying to create planes on the inside faces of the clips in the picture. I need to create tooling mounts to fasten these clips to. The mounts will bolt to the plate and allow the clips to attach to them, but i'm struggling with using the clips as a reference...

I'm not sure of what i'm doing wrong, but I remember this wasn't so difficult years ago... How do I create a plane in context that lies on the inside surface of the clips? (You can see a sketch from the clip on the surface that I need) 

Thanks.Capture2.PNG

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity, and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because philosophy is an exalted activity, will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -- John W. Gardner
10 REPLIES

Re: Help? How to create a plane in context?

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

I'm not sure what you have here. Is this inside the part in the context of the assembly or a part copy?

Are you using ordered or sync? I'm assuming ordered. 

Have you tried using Plane by 3 points?

If you are in context of the assembly, is the clip activated?

Pioneer
Pioneer

I'm trying to create a new part, like these (shown below). For this example, I can just place the origin around the hole on the clip and then create a plane on the plate using the 3 pt plane. But is there a method the other way around? Say if I created the part with the origin on the plate surface, how do I create a plane on the clip surface? And to answer your question, yes, the parts were activated and modeling in Ordered.

Capture3.PNG

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity, and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because philosophy is an exalted activity, will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -- John W. Gardner

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

I'm still not totally clear as to the question. If the clip is not available for creating the plane, the next thing to try is to create an interpart copy of the clip face and then use the surface to create your coincident plane?

Legend
Legend

why dont you just use a surface instead of a plane? I'd interpart copy from the clip's face into your new part. Then probably just thicken that surface and good to go.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Using inter-part copies comes to mind.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hmm, I guess using Interpart Copy would work... I will have to give it a shot to see if it works. 

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Maybe this will be useful:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Phenom
Phenom

Perhaps "Coincident plane" is what you are looking for.

Pioneer
Pioneer

I've tried every option in the Planes command bar, but none of them let me select any geometry on the other assembly parts. The parts have been activated, but still cannot use any geometry from them to create a plane. I was however, able to use the Copy Sketch command, and then use the 3 Point Plane command to create a plane, but what if you have a circular face? There aren't 3 points to select...