Help: Syncronous sheet metal wont behave

Phenom
Phenom

Hello there,

I'm exploring the syncronous editing of some sheet metal parts of mine. They all been converted in sync in the hope of a faster way to make new sizes.

But now I have some problem with simple editing. I believe is something that sync doesn't like in the corner, but they were made with the ordered close corner tool in the past.

Any help or thoughs ?

7 REPLIES

Re: Help: Syncronous sheet metal wont behave

please upload parasolid...  im on st6 and thus can not open your st7 file

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@Fiorini Synchronous Sheet Metal has some pretty strict rules about how bends and "plates" interact. In your case, the corner relief goes beyond the bend and cuts into the plate some. I gather you did this maybe with unbend/rebend?

In any case, Sync Sheet Metal does not like this condition. This is a GREAT place for you to use the hybrid mode. I assume you still have the Ordered original? If so, just move the flanges and tabs up to Sync, but leave the unbend/rebend or closed corner or whatever down in Ordered. 

It should all work great then.

PS> I put it out through parasolid and brought it into Part and the edit you were attempting works fine there -- so it is the limitations within what is allowed in Sync SM that was biting you.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Phenom
Phenom

Dan,

I did it with the close corner tool in ordered, would be great in future if that ordered feature would be converted in the coresponding sync "feature"\"smart geometry" or whatever is called.

Anyway, I totally removed the corner but it still not behave.

See attachment

This is just one part of an eclosure coverted in sync from ordered, it's my first antemp to have a synch assembly easily "resizable" for future developments.

Thanks any tips are apreciated.

Francesco

Phenom
Phenom

I just did a clean up of all the corners and rounds, exported as parasolid and imported as sync geometry all works fine untill i transform it into a sheet metal Smiley Sad

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

Highlighted

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Yeah, its still the strict rules in Sync SM that are biting you. In this case, it is the holes that "just touch" the bend. I will have someone look to see if we can remove this restriction in the future. But for now, if you leave those holes and the corners in ordered, the heart of the design will work well with Synchronous. 

The approach of putting the "shape" in Synchronous and the "details" in Ordered is well liked by many. And we will keep moving things up into Sync as we can. (like just touching holes)

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Phenom
Phenom
Thanks Dan, I just changed the diameter of the "biting" holes to 6.9 and now everything work fine even with the closed corner at the sync side.

Would been good if solution manager could warm me about that situations.

I guess I need to get more experience in the sync side.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Stuff like this is why I don't touch Sync. My top two issues are re-sizing and bend tables. I solved both of them by staying ordered, making all model plane-driven, and lots of variable work inside draft files.

I know somebody is going to respond: "They have bend tables". My responce is, "No they dont, the bend tables do not include back stop and stick out dimensions......this is what I need the bend tables are for!"