Help translate

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have been fumbling with the file for hours. I cant figure out how to translate in a way that I could then move to sync and get each piece to move on it's own.

My goal is to move the two side mounting arms to 20" appart....just cant figure it out.

If you can, please explaing the steps I take to translate this into usable parts.

15 REPLIES

Re: Help translate

Phenom
Phenom

You don't really even need to go to synch on this to do what you want if I understand you correctly.

I opened the file with an assembly template which produced two parts - the lamp and the support structure.

Then I just used the Move Faces command in the support structure in ordered on the Modify tab to shift the mounts around. I did this twice: First I moved the one nearest to the lamp 1", and then the other one enough to get 20" on center.

Modified.jpg

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Good work around for the single issues.

Let me ask the question another way, bucause I have this issues with many imported files.

How do I quickly turn the second "part" into 30 usable pieces I can delete, move, etc.. indipentently.

Phenom
Phenom

I am not sure on the issue of getting the mounting unit to import as an assembly. You may be at the mercy of whomever exported the file initially.

I have had it both ways. Sometimes an imported model will come like your example and other times it comes in with the complete structure as you would like it.

There are some .ini tweaks that can be made to get the import to work better, but I am not familiar with parasolid files as we generally work with .stp files.

Bob Henry

Phenom
Phenom

When I importerd the file initially, I got two parts: The lamp and the support. When I open the support I see a single base part and several surfaces.

So I exported this support part to a .stp file making certain to set the options to export solids and surfaces. Then I opened this .stp with seetings made to heal and stitch and it created a full assembly with the multiple parts you wanted. They are all grounded of course, but that is easily fixed.

Someone might have a better way to get there directly, but if not the multi-step process seems to work. 

Bob Henry

Phenom
Phenom

I tried the same thing with the lamp portion and also was able to create an assembly of the lamp portion of the assembly. There is one part in that assembly that needs some work as it has a surface coming to a point above the top of the lamp.

So basically steps are:

1. Open x_t into an SE assembly.

2. Save each of the two parts created as .stp files making sure that the options are checked to export solids and surfaces. I set everything to export to make sure everything was captured and saved them out to new names so that I did not accidentally overwrite anything.

3. Open each of the .stp into SE assemblies with the heal and stitch option set on.

4. Open your original assembly created from the x_t file and replace the two parts with the new assemblies.

There might be an easier way, but this seems to work.

Bob Henry

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

In the C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST8\Program folder, use a text editor to modify the "PSXMT.INI" file.

In "PSXMT.INI" change "Import Multiple Bodies As Single Part file=On" to "Import Multiple Bodies As Single Part file=Off":

screenshot.80.png

Importing the .x_t with =Off gives this:

screenshot.81.png

Phenom
Phenom

Interesting. I made that change to the .ini file in ST7 and it still would not import the individual files. I guess there are changes to the translator in ST8?

Bob Henry

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I tried to make that change in the INI file and was not allowed to save the changes.

The file is not read only and the prgram in not open.

I am the only administrator of the machine.

Using ST7

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

"So I exported this support part to a .stp file "

I get the error "This model contains no bodies, An output file will not be generated."

The question becomes, how to I translate or edit the support file so that it can be exported to stp?

Related question: All of my templates start in ordered. Do I need to a make an assembly template with the switch set to Sync for this kind import?