Help w/ Assembly Constraints

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm trying to rebuild an assembly I created in a different CAD program in Solid Edge. I'd appreciate any recommendations on how to align the centerlines of the two holes shown in the figure below. I was able to do this in the other CAD program but can't figure out how to do it in Solid Edge.

coaxial.jpg

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP8
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10
8 REPLIES

Re: Help w/ Assembly Constraints

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

One way immediately comes to mind. Add them as an assembly feature but with the create part features option selected.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Genius
Genius

My first thought would be to use planes. You might draw a verticle line on the center of the holes, and use them as the plane to align together.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi David,

One pretty simple way to do it is to use a Parallel assembly relationship. Select the hole axis in each part as the axes to make parallel and make sure the offset type is set to Floating instead of Fixed, otherwise you will get a conflicting relationship message. 

aligned holes.png

Hope this helps,

Greg

Edit: Updated to use a single relationship

Betreff: Help w/ Assembly Constraints

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @David_McMahon

and what#s about a smiply axial alignement?

If both parts are modeled correctly, and I suppose they are just one and the same, so that the hole should be in correct height and position, an axail constraint should be possible.

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Phenom

@hawcad - an axial alignment won't work in this case because the cones are on angled faces, so the axes of the holes won't be coaxial....

Greg

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @GregLuckett

but then the bsic question for a coaxial alignement doesn't make any sense.

In that case an coaxiality never will be possible.

The same will be true for the use of an assembly feature.

If the hole will not be straight through both of them, it isn't one and the same hole with the same axis.

I think then I would use a sketch in the part offering one horicontal line, which I would use as parallel constrant.

Or better put a coordinate system to the center point of the hole to align this one axial.

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Phenom

Hi @hawcad,

There is no need to create a sketch in the part, the hole axes can be used for the parallel constraint. This points out that the first solution I posted isn't ideal. Instead of two parallel relationships, you only need one between the two holes. For parallel relationships, the axes do not have to be coaxial, it just ensures they are parallel.

Regards,

Greg

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your help. I wasted a lot of time trying to figure this out - should have posted to the forum sooner:-) 

Hawcad, I am not sure why the coaxial constraint does not work. Although the angles of alignment may not be "exact" they are close to many decimal places as shown in the figure below.

GregLuckett, your recommendation to use the parallel constraint with "floating" option worked perfectly.

angle.jpgangle2.jpg

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP8
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10