Solved! Go to solution

Help with a 3D printable model. Hole on a curved surface

Hi there,

I am new to the community. I am an Electrical Engineering student in Texas working on a few robotics projects that use 3D Printed parts. I am trying to make a curved part that has holes for screws. The screws will go in the innner wall of a section of cylinder and come out on a flat surface.

I easily made the holes by working from the flat surface, but to make a small well for the screw heads is proving to be a more difficult situation.

cylinderSection.png

The highlighted plane is the face I want to make the wells for the screws into, I want to make 4 0.21 inch circles concentric to each of the 4 screw holes and about 0.07 inches in. I can not seem to make circles on this surface to extrude my well. I assume that I have to do some projection from a "parallel" plane to get what I want, I just do not know how.

If anyone can point me in the direction to a tutorial for this specific action I would be grateful.

9 REPLIES

Re: Help with a 3D printable model. Hole on a curved surface

the trick here is understanding wher eyou want the depth to be from...  The 2 holes at either side will have different depths due to the arc,  so I assume you want min dept from the shorted dept of the hole.

I think I would approach this by creating 2 seperat planes and creating your C'Bores in 2 seperate features.  

i'd use the 2 points shown with teh Blue and Green arroes for the 2 different planes.  this should giv eyou the min depth onthe short wall...   you should be able to create the 2 parallel planes from you origial plane...

7-27-2017 1-35-05 PM.png

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

I made a plane that is tangent to the surface and then attempted to add a C'bore, it was facing the wrong direction for the hole to intersect with the model. Can I get it to use the flipped face of the plane? How?

Not in front of Solid Edge right now and its been a while, but I believe when you are creating the plane tangent, hitting the F key will flip the normal of the plane. Read the prompt as you are doing the command and it should tell you.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author TristenLUEE
3 weeks ago

[ Edited ]

Since you said: "I assume that I have to do some projection from a "parallel" plane to get what I want, I just do not know how." here's an illustration of what @MattJohnson_PG explained:

I will upload another one based on what Dan intends.

This is exactly what I was looking to do, thank you so much!

What school do you go to and are they using Solid Edge there "officially" or did you just start using it on your own? How did you come to find it?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

[ Edited ]

Here's the same CBore using a Tangent plane based on what Dan suggested.

Hopefully this is what he intended to say:

Hi,

Just an other suggestion:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

I go to Lamar University, I use it on my own. My roommate said you had some software available to students, he interned at a robotics company.