Help with ideas to attempt this project

LEGO ICE CRYSTAL.jpgHi everyone, I am new here. I am reaching out to the community to ask for suggestions on how to approach this task I have set myself. I would like to model this Lego part in Solid Edge ST9. It is hollow and is a 2pc item with multiple facets of different sizes and shapes.

It has regular male-female lego connections top and bottom and the two parts are not equal halves ( about 2/3rds bottom pc and 1/3rd top pc). All facets are not the same or repeating and looking down on the part it has an un-equal octagonal shape at the seam/join where the pieces can be rotated 90deg and closed together.

I would appreciate any guidance/suggestions on tools and techniques in Solid Edge to attack this challenge I have given myself.

10 REPLIES

Re: Help with ideas to attempt this project

Hi @IANCURTIS

thanks to be with us.

This model i relatively easy to create - many techniques - I would suggest to start creating the solid and then using for example planes to make cut outs around the solid to make a shape you expect. Cut it out by two pieces then make a hollow / thin wall, add some extras, put some blends around it and voila.

slightly more to do is by using surfacing technique but still reachable.

Good luck,

Regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST9 MP8

Thankyou for your comments for help...my best idea I had was to do 4 bodies in a multi body part. The top and bottom lego connections are 2. Then attempt the rest with bounded surfaces using 3D sketching for the facets with stitching/healing and finally join all pieces and thin wall then split and last do lip and groove for join?

Hi @IANCURTIS

Good Idea. Every technique is worth gold if you know how to use it ;-).

Try to do it your way and I will do it my way and I will upload it later this week.

A small tip: using multibody I would suggest to create only 2 bodies: top and bottom - after publishing you will get nice assembly.

regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST9 MP8

This is an interesting problem and highlights the primary difference between surface modeling (to create a cool industrial designed shpae) and solid modeling. When you are doing Solid modeling you define the SOLIDS and the EDGES are a CONSEQUENCE of that. If you want to match an Industrial Designers vision for a part (say a swoopy mouse) you CANNOT do it that way. The EDGES are everything. You have to start by laying out the edges and then connect it all together with surfaces. If you try to do it by "cuts," the edges will never match the intended design. Again to summarize:

Solid Modeling --> solids/faces rule; edges just happen

Surface Modeling --> edges rule; faces derived from edges

You model is very interesting, because although it is not a classic swoopy design, if you want to replicate it, you will have to go the route of 3D sketches and other such approaches, because the EDGES are clearly the key to the design. It will be very hard (impossible?) to figure out what cuts will result in the edges as shown.

Make sense?

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Thank you for your suggestions. I will now go forward with this interesting challenge I have set myself using ST9. I will try using the tools you have mentioned.

Thank you Arek for your guidance. This is an interesting project to attempt. I know one thing is certain, which is the model I end up with will have the "look" of the sample but will not be a copy as it will take a very long time to figure out the cuts and angles.

regards,

Ian.C

Hi there @IANCURTIS,

Would like to see the results of your toils with this project......keep us posted please.

It is also good to have yet another "Kiwi" here on the Solid Edge Community also. Welcome!  Robot Very Happy

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Looks like fun to me!  Here's my first thought of workflow..

Create the faceted bottom first

1. I'd start with a sphere then first cut, from top view, is to obtain the surfaces where the lid meets the bowl.
  2. I'd create a single sketch in top view that has multiple right angles coming out from the center, you can use those as a guide for creating a cutout on an edge.
  3. create multiple cutouts at varying degrees from vertical and at varying distances from centerline.
  4. create the "Step" for the lid to seat
  5. create a protrusion for the bottom female connection, create those cutouts.
  6. thinwall the bowl...

Then model the lid in a similar fashion.

I may have to model this just to try it out.  I've 3D printed a similar bowl for my nephew to hold legos actually, I may have to make him another!

Thanks Sean, I will update with my progress.