Solved! Go to solution

Hi guys can you explain how to do sheet metal transition parts

I have struggled doing sheet metal transitions and to have the part modelled and developed properly. CAN YOU HELP PLEASE? And what are the limits as in what combination of shapes it can /can't do. Sorry to say Inventor does this easily.  cheers pat.

13 REPLIES

Re: Hi guys can you explain how to do sheet metal transition parts

I think you need to be more specific in what you need help with. Perhaps show examples of what you are trying to do.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10
Solution
Solution
Accepted by MLombard (Retired)
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Hi Pat,   Have a look in your Solid Edge install director...

[ Edited ]

Hi Pat,

Have a look in your Solid Edge install directory... >>C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST6\Training\Sheet Metal<< ...there are some files in there that will help. I do variations of these quite regularly....and is also done easily. [once you have the "AHA" moment] Robot wink

Search the help file for "Lofted Flange"...the little trick to get rectangular sketch profiles to work nicely, is to add a small radius to the corners. [cleaner target area for the bends to converge]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Ken,
I think he's talking about square to round transitions.
Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Re: Hi Pat,   Have a look in your Solid Edge install director...

Sean
I would really appreciate a few short steps on how to do these sorts of transitions. I haven’t found the aha moment yet. More likely the argggggg.
I have seen the examples in the training files but that doesn’t explain what to do and why. Thank you for any help. My school email is lovettp@stmaryscollege.com
Cheers pat

Regards

Patrick Lovett

Teacher

[cid:image9dbdb1.JPG@6e0fb645.409f6e81]

P. 07 4631 7333

F. 07 4631 7399

E. LovettP@stmaryscollege.com

A. 129 West St, Toowoomba QLD 4350

[cid:image09274d.JPG@0d6369c4.46b9584e]

IMPORTANT NOTICE This email (and any attachments) is intended only for use by the addressee/s and may contain information which is confidential and/or the subject of legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, any disclosure, distribution or use of the information is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please delete and destroy all copies and contact the sender immediately. Any views expressed in this communication are those of the individual sender, except unless otherwise specifically stated. Except as required at law, we do not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that the communication is free of errors, viruses, interception or interference.

Hi Pat,..will work on putting something together for you very soon.
Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Cheers Sean . thanks very much. It’s the only thing I’ve had trouble doing. Much appreciated

Regards

Patrick Lovett

Teacher

[cid:imagee0d3f6.JPG@a2e31e2c.46bee370]

P. 07 4631 7333

F. 07 4631 7399

[cid:image45c2f6.JPG@5b68aef4.4183eafe]

IMPORTANT NOTICE This email (and any attachments) is intended only for use by the addressee/s and may contain information which is confidential and/or the subject of legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, any disclosure, distribution or use of the information is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please delete and destroy all copies and contact the sender immediately. Any views expressed in this communication are those of the individual sender, except unless otherwise specifically stated. Except as required at law, we do not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that the communication is free of errors, viruses, interception or interference.

Yes ken . But not only square to round but angled , offset etc. The examples in the training files don’t explain the steps or the reasons and this is where confusion sets in.
Cheers thanks for any help you can give.
Pat

Regards

Patrick Lovett

Teacher

[cid:image44fb48.JPG@f0440688.40906ea4]

P. 07 4631 7333

F. 07 4631 7399

[cid:image38be42.JPG@355bacb2.4aa72488]

[ Edited ]

Haven't forgotten you Pat.....incredibly high workload on my desk at the moment, and what I have started writing, is getting pretty detailed and convoluted. I will make some supporting videos to lessen the confusion that I seem to [so easily] be creating for myself. ;-)

Do you have a specific design case I could work the example to?

I might try to make this into a blog worthy post...may need a little help from @MLombard 

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

That’s fine Sean, you get paid to work not answer questions. Just get it done when you can. I have included the start of my sketches . Does it need to be done in synch. or ordered. And in the arrangement of the fold lines how do you get them to look like the old hand drawn transition developments. I know that the two methods of drawing and modelling are different.
Cheers thanks
Pat

Regards

Patrick Lovett

Teacher

[cid:imaged2f4c1.JPG@462db58c.409e5965]

P. 07 4631 7333

F. 07 4631 7399

[cid:image1b35c7.JPG@2325bc49.49a58a6c]