Hide Bend Lines by default in Drawing Views (ST5)

Builder
Builder

Hi guys. I'm developing an app to automate working with unfolded sheet metal parts.

By default, SolidEdge shows bend lines, which can easily be turn down on each view through its properties windows. Unfortunately, this switch is not available for the API, so I want to change that default behaviour.

I have read that you can change default bend lines drawing editing the "sesmf.ini", but I have not managed to guess how. Any clues?

I think that behaviour should be easily customizable, and even accessible from the API.

Much thanks in advance!

14 REPLIES

Re: Hide Bend Lines by default in Drawing Views (ST5)

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You would have better luck getting a response posting to the Solid Edge Developer forum...

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Developer-Forum/bd-p/SEDeveloperForum

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Builder
Builder

Maybe I didn't explain correctly.

I don't wanna automate line hiding or so (which is not possible with ST5 API), I just want to change SolidEdge default behaviour when adding a new view of an unfolded sheet metal part.

By default SolidEdge shows bend lines. I would like to change that so that, by default, bend lines are not shown. No matter if the view is added manually or by means of the API, I simply wanna avoid those lines, which are not usefull when we are manufacturing the shapes. I knwo how to hide them once the view is cretaed, but doing so on dozens of views is far from elegant...

I have studied  "sesmf.ini" file in order to try to find something useful for that, but with no success :-(

Thanks anyway!

Phenom
Phenom

Hi javigoca,

I placed a flat pattern view of a SM part and right-clicked on it to select Properties from the context menu. In the Properties dialog - Annotation tab, removed the bend center line as below:

bendline.png

This however doesn ot change the default behavior - for new views bend center lines appear again.

Then create 'Quick Sheet Template' from the Application menu.

After dragging the sheetmetal part from library in the Edgebar, it is not showing the bend center line in the views.

You can perhaps setup such temple and use in your automation routine.

This is not a solution but a workaround and also API for creating views using a quicksheet template needs to be explored.

Hope that was helpful in theory. Please update this post if you are able to automate the procedure.

~Tushar Suradkar

http://surfandcode.blogspot.in/

Phenom
Phenom

As I explored further, found this API which could be useful for the workflow I contemplate:

PopulateQuicksheetTemplate(FileName As String)

This is a DraftDocument Object Member

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

javigoca wrote:...By default SolidEdge shows bend lines. I would like to change that so that, by default, bend lines are not shown. No matter if the view is added manually or by means of the API, I simply wanna avoid those lines, which are not usefull when we are manufacturing the shapes. I knwo how to hide them once the view is cretaed, but doing so on dozens of views is far from elegant...

I agree, there needs to be a button for Hide/Show bend lines on flat pattern, right up front on the ribbon bar, while the user is still placing the flat pattern view.

While I do a LOT of sheet metal folding drawings, I also make plenty of drawings for "roll formed" [usually contour flange] parts and don't want the effective bend centerline shown.....a button would be a great click saver!

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Builder
Builder

Hello, thanks for the help.

I had never used Quiksheet templates but, unfortunately, is not a solution for this.

Each of the parts which is going to be processed by the software has different orientations for showing the correct shape, which are defined in the part itself. In fact, not all the parts processed are unfolded sheets.

Also, I'm not sure if it's possible to use such a Quicktemplate within the API. If so, maybe I could have two different templates, one for unfolded sheets and other for everything else. Too ugly I guess...

Since I export the templates to Autocad, is far easy to have all the bend lines inside a specific layer, which can be easily hidden, so, overall, this is not a big problem.

In any case, I think that changing the default behaviour when placing unfolded sheets on a draft should be more configurable. In fact, within "Edge Display" you can change a number of options, can't understant why not this!

Any clues about  the cryptic "sesmf.ini" file?

Thanks all for your great interest!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

javigoca wrote:

Any clues about  the cryptic "sesmf.ini" file?

I looked at this file (for the first time) and appears most, if not all, is pertaining to AutoCAD translation. 

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer

we save this setting in our draft template file

every new draft file would then use this template with the setting already in place

works perfectly for us

this was done before quick sheets ever became available

no need for any coding at all

Phenom
Phenom

Good hint bbeally. Start exploring with older versions of SE if one is serious about finding a solution quicker Smiley Wink