Hide CFG file

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way to hide cfg files automatically in windows explorer. 

The manual way would be to go to properties and set the file to hidden.

10 REPLIES

Betreff: Hide CFG file

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

HI @JuRi

I think this will be the only way to have it.

But the more important question is, what is Your reason for hidding the CFG files.

They are needed by SE and I'm not sure, wether it will work properly if they are hidden.

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

I just don't want to see them in explorer (if i need them i can show them by hand). I will have a better overview if these files are hidden. 

Solid Edge works fine while i am doing this manually.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Windows Explorer does not have a mechanism to hide all files of a certain type.

As you've stated, what you have to do is set a property on the individual files to be hidden.  However, this is cumbersome to do one file at a time thru Windows Explorer.  Instead you can use the DOS "attrib" command and change all .cfg at once to all be hidden.  Then you could establish a scheduled task or watched folder utility to then periodically rerun the command line to set any newly created .cfg to the hidden attribute also.

Here is the DOS command line -- replace "C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST10\Training" with your top level Solid Edge folder name:

attrib +H /S "C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST10\Training\*.cfg"

However I do not know what downside there would be to having the cfg files hidden.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There's at least one alternative explorer software that makes this easy with a simple filter: -*.cfg

http://zabkat.com/x2lite.htm

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

@bshand that would mean that i cannot use windows explorer anymore. That's not a solution for me.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Why couldn't you use windows explorer anymore?

Bruce Shand

Pioneer
Pioneer
I can use windows explorer and i will. But i am just looking for a way to hide the cfg files, and not looking for an alternative for windows explorer.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You could use the alternate explorer just for the purpose you originally posted. Or you can keep struggling to find a solution Windows Explorer doesn't offer. WE isn't great software. Not sure why you're married to it. Your choice. Good luck.

Bruce Shand

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@JuRi as @bshand states there is no way to accomplish what you are asking for in Windows Explorer.  So you have two choices:

1 - use an alternative file explorer tool

2 - set up a procedure to always automatically set the cfg file attributes to hidden

You have been been provided solutions to both of these choices.  The final decision is entirely up to you.  There is no third choice to make Windows Explorer work as you are explicitly asking.