Hitting delete key when editing view caption deletes the view

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I just ran into something strange.  I had a typo in the text for my view caption and this happened:

1.  Clicked on the view

2.  Went to the caption box

3.  Put the cursor on the left end of the blank space and hit delete

4.  Normally, this should just delete the extra space but instead it deletes the entire view

5.  Did it again just to double check and then hit undo to bring the view back

6.  Edited the caption again, but put the cursor to the right and hit backspace.  This works OK.

Check out the video on Jing:  http://screencast.com/t/mDcXksab9C3U

This seems like a bug.  Using the delete key when editing text should not delete the view.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
12 REPLIES

Re: Hitting delete key when editing view caption deletes the view

Phenom
Phenom

No problem faced in ST 6

OOPS

[ EDIT]  I am able to reproduce this in ST 6

Man Embarassed

Did not see the video earlier and based solely on the description, right-clicked view for Properties and pressed delete in the Properties dialog where it did not delete the view.

~Tushar

PLM World Member Phenom

It sounds like an ST7 only problem.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

Please see my EDIT.

Terribly sorry !

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Kyle,

I don't see the same error......when I edit the caption of a view, using the delete key, it only deletes the successive characters in the text field, and certainly doesn't delete the view.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Kyle,

I can reproduce this every single time!  I am using ST6 MP13.

Any time you hit the delete key while editing the caption text the character will be deleted and a dialog box will come up asking if you wish to delete the view.  If you say no then the view remains intact and the caption is changed according to the deleted character.  So the answer for now is to not use the delete key and instead use the backspace key.  I think this is either a bug or bad design.  It is almost like the focus changes away from text editing to the view itself as soon as you hit the delete key.

Chris

PLM World Member Phenom

Chris,

That's interesting.  ST7 does not give an option to delete the view, it just does it.  I wonder if this cropped up in a later MP for ST6 and continued on to ST7?

Tushar and Sean, what versions and MPs are you running?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
I need to keep the mouse pointer within the text box or it will delete the view with no question ST7 MP5
LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

JasonTitcomb wrote:
I need to keep the mouse pointer within the text box or it will delete the view with no question ST7 MP5

That is the critical part Jason, as soon as the cursor is outside of the text field, then the condition Kyle describes, does happen....and as expected I suppose, as the view is still selected, so as soon as it gets focus, the delete key stroke is then operating on that view.

Kyle, as my signature shows, we're on "ST7 MP5".

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

Fantastic @JasonTitcomb

I highly appreciate your fine observation and have noted this in few other posts too, can't recollect where, but the impression remains.

So is it safe to conclude this is not a bug but functions as designed ? since there are various places and stuff on the SE screen that can be deleted using the Del key like a View, a Caption, a file in the Library, etc. so it really matters where the mouse is positioned which decides what is deleted.

I used ST6 SP2

~Tushar