Hole Failure

I'm still trying to learn synchronous. Can some help me understand why I cannot move the hole once I move a part face so that it intersects the hole? Are there design intent settings I can change to get it to work? See attached video and part file.

(view in My Videos)

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP8
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10
7 REPLIES

Re: Hole Failure

Hi David,

I was able to reproduce your situation.

The solution is to move first the hole a bit from its position.

Move a face of the body until you reatch the interior of the hole.

Then you will be able to move al least the hole without any problems!

Yasser

Yasser, thanks for the feedback. I tried your suggestion but could not get it to work. See attached video. What am I doing wrong? I'm using ST8.

By the way, I fully recognize there are other ways to do what I am trying to do. It's really more of an exercise for me to educate myself and figure out why synchronous doesn't work sometimes when I think it should. I appreciate the help.

(view in My Videos)

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP8
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10

I was also able to get it to work by making the hole come out the bottom instead of the side, and then moving the hole. The error preventing the move was that it couldn't create the new edge of the hole when the edge became a closed loop instead of an open curve.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Hi,

@MLombard is right. It seems this is an unsolved issue in ST, but don't worry, because there are some ways to solve it.

You can use "detach/attach" command or copying the hole and deleting the original hole... etc

Here is a video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

It seems to work but only in one direction:

1-Move the face of the body until the hole is fully closed, then you could move you hole (faces have to be coplanar).

2-If the hole isn't closed it's not possible to move it until it has it's fully round geometry.

Yasser

Or you could do it like Imics says with: detach/attach

So you have to choose the chortest way to your goal. But the best here is to learn how Solid Edge works in such situations Smiley Wink

Yasser

Thanks to everyone that provided feedback on this. It was very helpful in giving me other ways to look at the problem.

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9, MP8
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10