Hole Table not distinguishing between holes of different depth

Creator
Creator

Hi

I need some help with hole tables in draft. We use hole tables to indicate the different types of holes used on a machined component. A component would typically have 5 - 10 different types of holes and about 10 - 50 each spread randomly across the part.

We would label each hole on the view with an alpha letter according to the type of hole.

We would place a hole table on the drawing with one entry for each type of hole (e.g. HOLE A, Ø 6 x 5 DEEP, QTY 32)

We are not interested in indicating hole location and definitely don’t want to list each hole.

I cannot get Solid Edge to do this. When SE groups the holes according to type, it looks at diameter only and ignores depth (extent). (using callouts etc.)

I.e. if you had Ø6 x 5 deep holes and Ø6 x 10 deep holes, it would group them as one type and assign one alpha letter (remember I’m not interested in location and I don’t want to list each hole).

Example:

You have a part with 5 holes, 2 are Ø6 x 5 deep and 3 are Ø6 x 10 deep.

On the view 2 holes should be labelled A and 3 holes should be labelled B.

The table should have two entries:

A, Ø6 x 5 DEEP, QTY 2

B, Ø6 x 10 DEEP, QTY 3

Could somebody please tell me if it is indeed possible to do this, and if so, how?

Thanks,

Philip

10 REPLIES

Re: Hole Table not distinguishing between holes of different depth

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I don't personally use patterns with SE's built in tools. But I mention that because each group of holes could become a pattern, then list each pattern. I would bark up that tree for what you are trying to do. 

Creator
Creator

I have exactly this problem with the hole table feature.

Can I assume from the lack of replies SE can't distinguish between same size holes of differing depth?

Cheers. 

Phenom
Phenom

This is possible, you just need to play around with the settings in the Hole Table Properties dialog - once you've got them right you can save them for use later so you don't have to do it manually each time.

In your case:

Columns tab - remove X, Y, add Callout 1, and Count and Type (optional)

Callout tab - set Callout 1 settings for each hole type you're interested in e.g. for Simple you might use %DI%HS %HD DEEP

List tab - select 'List Holes by size', and 'List each hole size' below it.

That gives you something like this;

holes.JPG

Creator
Creator
Finally somebody else that sees the shortcoming!

I originally logged an request more than 10 years ago!

Creator
Creator

Alex_H wrote:

This is possible, you just need to play around with the settings in the Hole Table Properties dialog - once you've got them right you can save them for use later so you don't have to do it manually each time.

In your case:

Columns tab - remove X, Y, add Callout 1, and Count and Type (optional)

Callout tab - set Callout 1 settings for each hole type you're interested in e.g. for Simple you might use %DI%HS %HD DEEP

List tab - select 'List Holes by size', and 'List each hole size' below it.

That gives you something like this;

holes.JPG

Hard to see the detail of hole C and D, but it looks like you misunderstood the post.

I suggest re-reading it and follow the given example. Let me know if you can get that right - then I'll be very happy.

(remember, I'm after holes of the same diameter, but different depth)

Phenom
Phenom

On ST7 and can only get it to list one entry in the hole table even though I have holes of 10mm dia x 10 deep, and 10mm dia x 15 deep.

The worst thing is that even if you do show the hole depth to the callout it still only shows one depth - inferring that they are all the same depth.

This is completely wrong and should be submitted as a problem, rather than an enhancement - unless something has changed in ST8.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Creator
Creator
Still the same in ST8.
Has been like this since v10! (or before)
p

Creator
Creator

Search for Incedent report 1158346 dated 6 June 2005!

https://webtac.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/qtac/index.php5?lang=en (IR and ER)

Creator
Creator

Shocked! Smiley Surprised