Hole at Angle

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm very new to Solid Edge and would appreciate any suggestions on a workflow to create a hole at an angle using synchronous. I am trying to tilt the hole shown below at an angle using synchronous but keep getting an error. Any suggestions? I have also attached the part file.

hole@angle_drawing.png

hole@angle.png

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST10, MP3
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10
5 REPLIES

Re: Hole at Angle

MLombard
Retired

You could use a plane, and revolve an angled rectangle.

Or if you're using Synchronous, you can just put the hole in anywhere in any orientation, and then select it and use the torus part of the steering wheel to angle it slightly.

Using your screen shot, you already have the steering wheel in place, so just rotate the big white donut counter clockwise and key in 10 to lock it into 10 degrees.

You might be getting an error with the bottom of the hole. Turn off Parallel, or Lock To Base Planes, in fact, you might just turn off Design Intent altogether for this change.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Does it have to be a hole feature or can it be a cutout? Either a protrusion or revolved section could easily work.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Matt, I just did that workflow on the part except that I put in a tangent plane and tilted it 10 degrees befor putting in the hole.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for the excellent feedback. I kept getting the follwoing error message:

Screen Shot 2015-12-23 at 7.03.12 PM.png

I was able to change the angle of the hole using the synchronous steering wheel by using Matt's suggestion of turning off some of the live rules. See below.

relax_persistant_relaionships.png

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST10, MP3
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Holes are a little special in that they automatically lock to the plane/face placed on so you need to suspend persistent relationships to move them off of that face which is what is happening when you tilt them.  You can see this when you select the Edit Handle (dimension when hole selected, not Steering Wheel) as it is represented as the blue arrow.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3