Solved! Go to solution

Hole on tangent cylinder using ordered

I am lost. I place a hole tangent on cylinder, type in angle. I think I am supposted to use hole keypoints. I can't seem to figure it out. It keeps saying its unsucessful. HELP! I want to put a hole on the tangent cylinder then pattern 8 times.

BTW....I have to use ordered not sync.

20 REPLIES

Re: Hole on tangent cylinder using ordered

Hi,

You need to use the tangent plane

I am using tangent plane as I am making the feature. It asks for the tangent surface, then produces a tangent plane with 2 red arrows. But I can't get it to resolve. Keeps giving me red ! in tiangle and says unsucessful.

I have attached ST5 file. If someone can tell me if they can fix the hole4 and figure how to pattern 8 of them using ordered. I would greatly appreciate it.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author cs2kplus
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

i looked at your model...  Hole 4 is tangent?  you can verify this by looking at teh cross section or a perpendicular view...  the midpoint of the hold pierces the midpoint od the perpendeicular Major Diameter???

And a pattern solved once toggling from Fast option to Smart option.

the 2 large red arrows are the "clocking" or "timing" of your tangent plane.  at what degree do you want to be tangent...  so once you select the clyinder you will be automatically zeroed at the closest quadrant,  from here you can establish lets say a 15 deg rotation of your tangent plane from the cardnal point....    the yellow triangle with red explanation mark is odd...  this is a sensor out of range notification...   i dont see any sensors in the file, thats odd...  otherwise all is good.

let us know if you get this owrking per my suggestion to use smart pattern instead of fast pattern.

Matt...nice. I did mess with the icons you suggested - but maybe did not think they were the problem. I was trying to select things when I got the red arrows....but just seemed like I was going nowhere. Let me try. Thanks so much for looking at this.

Matt, I am not sure what your asking. I used tangent for hole 4. I assumed this was the best way to start the hole as tangent then to a point in center of part. Maybe if I see the finished part?

Matt, See pic. It shows the yellow triangle. I am not sure what to populate in ?1 & ?2? I put in 22.5 degrees for angle - not sure what step is?

Angle allows you to enter a precise angle of exact value

Step is like an increment value, if you leave angle value empty and enter 15 deg in step, then as you move your mouse about the tangent face it will increment  (step) in 15 deg increments.

see short video here:  http://screencast.com/t/mlrudtXX2Dt