Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hole options

Legend
Legend

I'd like to add a thread callout for a Helicoil tapped hole.  For anyone thats used them you know they are different than a standard tap. I thought I could add a sub type in the threaded hole selection, but the excel file limits oyu to only the 1,2, or 3 option for thread types. How can we add a 4th type to this? After a bit of googleing it appears SW has a "STI" thread option.  (STI = screw thread insert) Can we get one?

I also thought maybe I could just copy the 1/2-13 (size I'm using) size and adjust the drill size, add a STI suffix to the name and use that, but when you go to use it there's an error stating there's two duplicate sizes.

So is work around to make my nominal hole size larger, say .5001, and go from there?

19-02-2018-01-35-22.png

-Craig
8 REPLIES

Re: Hole options

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Craig_HCan you change the Thread Family to something like "STI" and do it that way?  That way you can have the duplicate values...

Ken

Production: ST10 MP6
Testing: SE 2019

Legend
Legend
You’re not allowed to add an additional thread family.
-Craig

Hi @Craig_H

just implement a new standard, let's say "Craigs Standard" using another excel sheet (copy an appropriate existing one)

Modify the entries according to Your needs and You can use it similar like DIN or ISO or ANSI

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

I was able to add the STI version to the standard "ANSI inch" but changed the nominal to .5001 to fix what I thought was this error, but it still pops up.  I copied the excel sheet to a "Craigs ansi inch" it does the same.

What exactly is the "thread family identifier"? and what diameters ar duplicates? the tinted row is my STI tap.

20-02-2018-11-23-26.png20-02-2018-11-24-08.png

-Craig

2018-02-21_14-21-56.png

@Craig_H  I have no problem changing the ThreadFamily column to "STI" or anything else...

Ken

Production: ST10 MP6
Testing: SE 2019

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Try changing the tap drill size so it doesn't conflict with existing values within the same family (UNC)

Maybe they mean all values.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Legend
Legend
After a few excel copies and copying the 1/2-13 row I was able to make it work..
I'm a little stumped of why I got that error and what it means exactly the first time I tried to create the new thread. (which led to this post)
The highlighted row in the above pic was simply a copy and insert and I got that error?
I tried again to the existing excel file and no issues.
The tap drill size was changed originally as well.
-Craig

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Thought i would play with this a bit so I could be sure I understand it.

I was able to copy and paste a line with all the same values as long as I changed the ThreadFamily from UNC to UNC_STI.

So I believe that within UNC or UNC_STI family there can be no duplicate values.

STI.PNG

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com