Solved! Go to solution

Home license

Hi,

I have read this guide from Ally_PLM, but have a few questions.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Knowledge-Base/How-to-Get-a-Home-Use-Lice...

We have 3 licensed at work, currently only using 2 of them (3rd was for a future server).

Me and my co-worker would like to install a "home license", so we can practice and work from home (we're both new to Solid Edge and have to learn everything from scratch without training).

So my questions are:

- Does a standard Solid Edge license come with home license?

- The "License types" stated in the guide does not appear when choosing a license type. Instead the .dat file start to download.

- Should I choose "travel" license or the other one (see pictures)?

- I see no where to fill in information where the license will be use, as stated in the guide.

That's about it Smiley Happy

Regards,

Kenneth

13 REPLIES

Re: Home license

The Home Use license comes with floating (server-based) commerical licenses.  If you are using node-locked licenses, then you don't get a home-use license along with it.  That's based on my most recent knowledge on the subject.

For our floating seats, I log into GTAC and go to the licenses page.

From there, I select that I want to download a new license.

From the pop-down menu, I have a choice of the most current license plus many past licenses.

For each version of Solid Edge, I see a choice for the regular floating license, travel, and home use.

If you travel, or use a laptop, you can also consider license borrowing which is done through the License Utility on your computer, installed along with Solid Edge.

[ Edited ]

We have node-locked licenses and 3 of us have home use licenses. As I recall it's an option on the licensing page.

Yes, it's an option if you expand where the arrow points.

Edit: The arrow should point to the version box below where it is pointing.

Edit2: Sorry, I just looked at your attached images. On mine it shows a home license option. Not sure what's going on with your install.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

[ Edited ]

CORRECTION: It appears Home Licenses are available to Floating License holders outside of the Americas...   I believe the Home Use license is only available to licenses purchased in the US or maybe the Americas.  Also, the Travel license is for when you have to "work" remotely and each license can only be used a maximum of 30 days/year for Travel.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

That kinda sucks.... to be honest.

So US customers get a home license, while the rest of us does not?

I agree with Kenneth. I also think that the inability of users outside the states being able to access PR & ER status, initiate them and support them (other than through their reseller) is a b..... nuisance. It means Siemens don't get an accurate indication of the support for a PR or ER, because I never bother to spend the time to contact our reseller and ask them to do it; I am sure there are many more outside the US who also have the same attitude.

585 ST9 Win 7

[ Edited ]

I have two floating licences and i can get 2 home use licenses. That works even in Germany.

Greetings from Germany
Christian Kunkel
https://c-k-m.info

thanks for the info.

i'm going to contact our supplier and ask why it's not working then Smiley Happy

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kenneth
‎10-11-2015 06:47 AM

I know our Home Licenses disappeared a few weeks ago on the Licensing site and it was due to a user error at Siemens in which they were removed from our account.  Account management had to correct it.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Any home use license which is active will dissapear from the list. If you need to reassign it to another machine call GTAC or your VAR and they can release it. When it expires in 6 months it should reappear in the list. If it doesn't, call GTAC or your VAR. The system gets a hiccup once in a while.
Using SE since V12, 2002