How To Update Synchonous Design

Pioneer
Pioneer

I created a part by sketching a triangle (vertical and horizontal lines are straight, angled line is curved), offsetting a line and revolving it around the line. I would now like to lengthen the part, I've tried dragging the surface or adding a dimension, but haven't been able to. I've played around with Live Rules but so far still can't change it. 

I have a Synchronous only version. Is there any way to change the vertical dimension (12mm)?

Thanks.

21 REPLIES

Re: How To Update Synchonous Design

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

Can you upload the model?....there may be too many other dimensions controlling the part, to enable this edit.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, model upload would help as Sean suggested, but given the typical settings, this would have to lengthen at the top and my guess is you are probaby on a global plane there and the Live Rule, "Lock to Base Reference" is ON thus preventing it's move.  Are you using Solution Manager to show what is prevented from moving and why?  Also, you could just suspend all live rules.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Pioneer
Pioneer

Here is the model. I tried suspending Live Rules and it still wouldn't adjust. I've tried moving it from the upper flat plane and the lower edge. The vertical dimension is 12 mm and I'd like to try it at 24mm. 

Thanks very much.

btw I did read in the link below that it can be good to start with Live Rules off to more easily grasp face relations one at a time, in case anyone else is struggling with this.

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Blog/Live-Rules-and-the-Solution-Manager/b...

Legend
Legend

Hi Garnet,

As KEN mentionned above, the solution manager is your friend in these kind of situations. The problems were the 1 mm lock dimension and the Lock to base live rule.

laurenj.

Sorry for the poor video quality.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Lauren that's fantastic, thank you. Kudos all 'round

Legend
Legend

You are welcome. The community is there for you.

Laurenj.

Pioneer
Pioneer

When modifying faces in this way is there a way to make the dimensions relative to a plane, rather than the last position of the face? I am trying to modify a face and know I want it parallel to a plane (doing this because Face Relate Parallel won't work, I click the green check and the face position doesn't change) but the dimension in the box always relates to the last position and I don't know what value will make it parallel. 

Thanks.

Legend
Legend

" I am trying to modify a face and know I want it parallel to a plane (doing this because Face Relate Parallel won't work, I click the green check and the face position doesn't change)"

Tell me if I understand correctly: The face you're trying to move is not parallel to the one you want to move relative to? And you want to make them parallel first to perform your move afterwards? In that case, you can create a plane parallel to you reference face, move it close to the face you want to move and apply a coplanar relation.

Also, you can always dimension from the three base planes/axis. In your case, the dimension 12 can be used to modify the position of the face. Again you will have to disable Lock to base reference live rule and use the solution manager, but you will be able to input the overall length you want. 

Pioneer
Pioneer

Correct, not parallel, and I just want to make them parallel. I tried using Face Relate, but the faces didn't move, so then I tried the wheel. 

How would I make the dimension relative to a plane, as it automatically enters the dimension as relative to the original face position? 

Hope that's clearer.