Solved! Go to solution

How are Solid Edge users using JT files?

I am interested to find out if any of our Solid Edge users are using the JT file format and what you are using it for. Some specific areas I would like to explore are:

1. Any Solid Edge users receiving JT files from 3rd parties? What is your experience with this
  2. Any Solid Edge users creating JT to send to 3rd parties? Again interested in your experience with this
  3. Are you using the Teamcente integration with Solid Edge (SEEC) capability to automatically create JT files or doing this directly from Solid Edge?
  4. Are you or your suppliers/customer using the JT2GO free viewer?

I see some input already from Solid Edge users on this forum around JT so thanks for that. My plan is to write an article on this that will summarize what our customers are doing and any tips and techniques they recommend...

thanks

Dave

{David Chadwick}, {Solid Edge Global Product Marketing}, {Siemens PLM Software}

12 REPLIES

Re: How are Solid Edge users using JT files?

Dave,

I have never beens asked if I can read/import JT files, and when I send CAD files to customers or vendors I always ask which format... Parasolid, STEP, or JT. I've never had anyone ever ask for JT however, I have had  a few ask "what is it"

Bob

[ Edited ]

Bob,

thanks for your comments - useful info that you have never been asked for this. I was at PLM Connection last week with big companies like Boeing, GM, Applied Materials etc. talking a lot about how they use JT so I'm interested to see if/how that is filtering down to Solid Edge users and if there are any opportunities we (both Siemens Solid Edge and our users) are missing...

Dave

[ Edited ]

I've never been asked for one nor do i receive them, but i do  use JT files for one of my customers.  I do all the CAD design work for them, They use the"JT2Go" app on an iPad to view drawings or concepts on the shop floor. This customer has minimal PC skills...so it's great. We went through a few Siemens apps trying to see what worked best as far as viewers, This seemed to have the best parts list available to simple touch a part and see the part#. 

Here's a screenshot from my phone that has the app.

weird...when i use the "photo" button, the pictures is upside down as well as reversed..  I rotated it here but it's still reversed.  Not sure if I've ever used the photo button beofre to notice this...?

Craig,

thanks for the comment and the pic - interesting to see that you have found JT a good way to communicate with one of your customers

On the photo question I have problems inserting photos on this site using IE - but it works fine for me using Chrome

Dave

Dave, it appears to be an App/apple issue..? The photos are correct on my phone but when downloaded to my PC they are revered, but only the pics exported form the app. the "screenshot" I took is correct.

Hi Dave

I've one customer who uses Teamcenter so I sometimes get JT models of their parts to use in jig design etc.  The models come in great but very few of the engineers know Teamcenter well enough to extract assemblies in a useable format.

Roger

Hello Dave,

We primarily use JT files internally for design meetings and design reviews. Our boardroom computers can easily handle the lightweight files and they are quick to open.

We don’t receive JT files from 3rd parties.

Regards,

Theodore

Thanks Roger and Theodore - interesting inputs!

Dave

We are using light weight 3D models as work insturctions for prototype build.  We convert the JT files to a different format that is used with our PDM system, but the concept is the same.  With our tools, the person assembling the prototype is able to view the machine, explode it, and colapse it.  They can get part numbers and descriptions.  When we create an update from the SE file, there is a compare tool that will highlight changes for the assembler.  This keeps us from spending a lot of drafting time creating exploded views, and parts lists.

In the future, we are hoping to use these tools to document Standard Work (work instructions) for the assembly line, and possibly replace our parts catalog drawings (2D exploded views, and parts lists that get published as a book, and shown on our parts website.)

Our Tech Pub group is creating some really neat product support documents that include light weight 3D models.  For example, they can highlight components of a Ground Drive Hydraulics system, and dim the rest of a machine.  I wish that I could share a link, but at this point their documents are only available to our Dealers.