How are you working with part numbers and file properties?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have attached a PDF that maps out how part numbers, gage, shape, and cut length's flow through my solid edge files.

There are two major problems with my workflow that should be clear.

1. Because there is no way to move variables into file properties, a manual entry step is required.

2. An extra assembly file is needed as place holders for part numbers when modeling a single static part.

How do most of you work around this?

Note: I have started using a single custom file property I call "Shape"

I added that field to all the files used by frames and display that in the same column as sheet gage. If the part is sheet metal only gage displays. if it is a frame part, the Shape displays. Since I have included material designation with the gages and shapes, I label that column material. I use that same logic for cut1 that is either frame cut length or sheet metal flat pattern CutX.

7 REPLIES

Re: How are you working with part numbers and file properties?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Item 1 I don't understand because you can "Expose" a variable which then makes it a File Property.

Item 2 is also not clear.  What part numbers do you need for a single static part except for the single part number for that part?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

1. Are you saying there is a way to get a variable into the file properties of:

Title

subject

Author

Manager

Company etc....?

ie The summary tab and the Project tab properties?

Properties are a different thing than variables.

2. Lets say I make a model of a single part. Then make a drawing of that part. That drawing needs to display the part number of the material the part is made from. Then I insert that model into an assembly. That assemblie's drawing needs to display the part number of the finished part, not the material the part is made from. So what part number goes into the model of the part? My answer is I need two models. One for the material number and one for the finished part number.

This is all making the assumption there is only a single slot for "part number". I have been using the "Document" number for this. It appears that was a bad choice. I'm wondering how others handle this situation.

Legend
Legend
It looks like you can add a custom property to a material. Perhaps that is where the material part number should go?
Using SE since V12, 2002

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm currently thinking I need to add a custom property for part name and number, but I'm not sure is that will solve my problem of getting variables into them.

Also, I desire only a single "slot" to be used for part numbers within parts lists. If I make a drawing of a single part, that model needs to have a part number of the material. If that model is then inserted into an assembly, that Assemblies drawing needs to display the part number of the finished part, not the material part number. As a place holder I place the model into an assembly to hold the finished part's part number rather than the material part number.

After some more research. I'm considering NEVER using properties and only using variables for part number and part names. This would would well IF i can create a custom view into the variable table that works like the property dialog box's. Is that possible?

-----------------------------

Edit after more reserach:

I think some background and assumptions are needed.

I will start from the parts list perspective. I hope to have a single variable(or file property) that represent a part number for any model. The attached workflow is a way of accomplishing that.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

1. After reading Grundey;s reply more carefully, and some testing. Yes I can get variables into a property, just not an existing one. If you have an exposed and populated variable, that automatically becomes a custom property.

I had asked the question can variable feed a property so many ways with the answer of NO, I never considered that an exposed variable became a custom one. I'm not sure what that gains me. presenting a variable or a custom field are basically the same thing from a parts list perspective. I could just as well use the variable in the parts list as the custom property.

OK lets say I use a custom property of PN instead of of Document number for all my part numbers.

There is still no way (without real programming) to make the part number editable from a window like the Document number. Now I will need to use the variable table every time I enter a part number. Because of what this might do for part numbers, I'm considering the work-flow penalty and cost of editing every file I use.

One detail I'm still working out is: Let say I have four variables AAAAXXXXYYYYZZZZ

The values in those variable will look like STLH130008003400. or, as they sit right now

AAAA=STHL

XXXX=1300

YYYY=800 (not sure how to format variables for leading 0's

ZZZZ=3400

How do I put those together as a single variable that I expose as the part number?

Right now I have placed the part number of every extruded shape into the shape files (The files under frames). For example L 2x2X1/4 carbon steel AKA 2" angle 1/4" thick. In my case it has a part number like B-02025

I want that part number to show up in some cases, but not others.

Assembly frames:

case 1-want PN of material from frame file: drawing of a single part made from 2" angles (frame or not)

case 2-want PN of material from frame file: drawing of many parts made from 2" angles, using frame design.

case 3-Do NOT want PN of material from frame file: A single part that was created in step 1 has been inserted into an assembly. In this case the part number is the drawing number from case 1.

right now I get this accomplished in case 3 by placing the finished part into an assembly to hold the part number of what was drawn in step 1. Automatically moving that number from the drawing made in case 1 to the PN slot in case 3 is one of the reason I want to feed part number from a variable.

This way I only need a single set of annotation in part list that display the part number.

Sheet metal: Much less of an issues as part number of material are replaced by gage and cutX&Y however:

case 1- no part #, file of a single piece of sheet metal

case 2- no part#, file of many pieces of sheet metal

case 3- part in asseblt from case 1, the part number of the part needs to be displayed.

I have learned to track sheet metal by name rather than item number because it is imposible to display item number as annotation. Also in ST6, it was not easy to get the item number to display. I assign 2..4 letter names to the sheet files and also enter that as the "NAME" of that part. Here is what I use right now to lable sheet metal views

%{File Name (no extension)|GP}: %{Title|GP}   %{Mass/@1|GP}
%{Gage|GP} x %{Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeX/CP/@3|G} x %{Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeY/CP/@3|G}

I wish there was a way to add item number to that annotation. in ST7 I can add a non-arrow buble in front of the call out as a work around.

Now here is the real problem. Case 2 and case 3 for a part, frame or sheet all need to use the same parts list. because case 1 and 2 are about the same, they should all use the same parts list.

My parts lists currently use the following annotation:

ITEM: %{Item Number|G}

QTY: %{Quantity|G}

MATERIAL: %{Gage|G}%{SHAPE/CP|G}

CUT1:%{Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeX/@3N/CP/NU|G}%{Cut Length|G}

CUT2: %{Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeY/@3N/CP/NU|G}

PART: %{Document Number|G}%{X100/cp/NU/@0|G}%{y100/cp/NU/@0|G}%{z100/cp/NU/@0|G}

NAME: %{Title|G}

#/EACH: %{Mass (Item)/@1/NU|G}

Phenom
Phenom

"I wish there was a way to add item number to that annotation. in ST7 I can add a non-arrow buble in front of the call out as a work around."

have a look at my reply to this post -

"Element number into annotation​/balloon callout ..."

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I gave the annotation a try %{Parts List Item Number|G}. I get the feedback of "item not connected" because flat patterns and all of my details are independent of assembly views. If I changed my workflow to using assembly views for each of 3 view for each sheet metal part, then It would work for the views of each finished piece of sheet metal. But that will never work for flat patterns.

Is that the annotation you were referring too?