How can I save the part of the design as .stl file rather then the complete design?

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have a design and I would like to test to 3d print only a section of it so I don't have to print the whole design and waste material incase something goes wrong with it. how can I select that part and save as .stl file.  I tried making a section and saving it like that but at the end whole design appears.

2 REPLIES

Re: How can I save the part of the design as .stl file rather then the complete design?

Phenom
Phenom

SE button

Save as

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Re: How can I save the part of the design as .stl file rather then the complete design?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If I understand correctly then you could use a couple of options depending on what you need to do.

1. Save the part out as a copy then simply cut away the material of the solid that you don't need leaving just the bit to print.  Then svae as translated and select *.stl

2. Save a copy.  Use the solid body options and split the part (using surfaces) to leave a body which represents the part you want to 3d print.  delete the rest leaving just that body and then save as translated *.stl 

CAD/CAE Manager
ST8 MP12