Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I set file status to released?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello!

I can't set it to released because it's greyed out. Is there an add-on that needs to be installed?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4

Betreff: How can I set file status to released?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Reseter

no there is no need for any aditional software.

There only is one ting You should take care:

You can not release any document if the children documents are not released too.

So for example, You first need to release all parts from within an assembly before You can release those assembly.

Or a 3D document must first be released before being able to do it for the appropriate draft file.

Otherwise You might change the 3D file which is shown in the draft, what further would imply that this darft also must change.

Hope that helped

regards
Wolfgang

@hawcad wrote:

You can not release any document if the children documents are not released too.

So for example, You first need to release all parts from within an assembly before You can release those assembly.

Or a 3D document must first be released before being able to do it for the appropriate draft file.

Otherwise You might change the 3D file which is shown in the draft, what further would imply that this darft also must change.

Procedurally that may be true in terms of the way many companies manage document control but in fact you can, say, release a draft file and not the files it contains.

The status changing tool I often recommend is in http://barhamsoftware.com/SE_Tools/index.htm

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @bshand

of course You can do it using any additional API code for that.

I myself have written such a tool to change the status back to working after already released it.

But this tools will overcome the deeper sense of a workflow somehow.

I see the release status as a point in time, where man decided that this design now is proofed and ready for manufacturing.

And it also is an integrated security function to prevent any changes after that decision.

Besides the fact that YOu manually - using an API tool - can change it as often as You like it.

But this is not the foundamental intend of it.

regards
Wolfgang

@hawcad I know. The difference you and I frequently have is that you concern yourself with unknown operational procedures and their possible effect on things within the OP's organization. My stance is that I can't know those things and don't care unless the OP defines his organization operations as the subject of his question. So I just answer the actual question. Caveats, warnings and what-ifs are fine if you want to add them but saying what someone should or should not do is out of my purview IMO.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200