How can we set default layer for text, ballons & for annotation.

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

While drafting when we create ballons it should automatically move to layer which has created with name ballon. For dimension it should move to dimension layer automatically & same for the annotation. And each new draft file should start with this layer setting.We don't want to move things manually to each layer every time.

Can this be done..?

11 REPLIES

Re: How can we set default layer for text, ballons & for annotation.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There's no provision for layer presets. Might be a nice enhancement but personally I pay little mind to layers in general wth SE.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @bshand

I totally agree with Your argument.

Layers were a tool 20 years ago, when we worked on 2D CAD or 3D CAD with wire frame geometry to select logical objects easier.

But now when we create our drawing from 3D model and all the logic is in the 3D there I cann't see any reason for a layer structure in drawing.

Only if we create simple 2D drawings/schemes etc. then layers are helpful.

To hide geometry which was draw in view (break circles etc.) layers are needed.

To select all dimensions in SE I use the "smart select" of SE

After doing so, You can moved thos elements onto the specified leyer if wanted.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

hawcad wrote:

To select all dimensions in SE I use the "smart select" of SE

After doing so, You can moved thos elements onto the specified leyer if wanted.

@hawcad

Can you also tell how you select just the dimensions using the smart select?

Balloons and Dimensions are clubbed together in the same check box. So any trick ?

Layers are a matter of 'Best Practices' in drawings; Since no one seems to be following the best practices in Solid Edge for placement of annotations and dimensions on different layers, so no demand and this facility simply does not exist.

Also worth noting is that Solid Edge separates out exported DXF from flattened sheetmetal neatly into layers with meaningful names like outer_loop, inner_loop, bendlines, etc. and this could be due to demand, hence the feature exists.

Phenom
Phenom

Krunal wrote:

Can this be done..?Draft 

Yes, Create the layers for dimensions and balloons in the Draft template and use the template for the drawings.

Just as in any other 2D CAD that you may have used, make the respective layer active just before placing the dimensions or balloons. In Solid Edge, you can simply double-click on the layer name and select 'Make Active'.

The pencil icon will indicate the active layer.

LayerDB.png

Does that answer your question ?

...And if I re-read your question as a programmer, you are looking for an automatic way to accomplish this, a macro can be written. Let me know if you need one.

~Tushar

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Tushar

using "SmartSelect" lets me find exactly dimensions or balloons only in the draft.

See attached video, where I first select all dimension move them onto a new layer, and then doing the same with balloons.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Oops, yes, @hawcad

I was talking about 'Smart Select' all time and looking up 'Select Options' where Dims and Balloons are clubbed together. My bad Robot tongue

Thanks for the video Smiley Happy

Regards,

Tushar

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Auto-placement on layers would be very useful in SE when it comes to saving out as DWG. For us this is a requirement as a lot of customers still want dwg files. As we also work in AutoCAD having this function would mean a consistent export from SE could be achived as the ini file could map to our AutoCAD standards. As it is now we would rely on the Engineers to switch layers for the objects and that just wont be 100% consistent.

Final comment, if you have layers as SE does then this functionality does make sense to me.

Thanks,
Guy

CAD/CAE Manager
ST8 MP12

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Layer predefination is required. As of now it can not be done. It will be great if you help me with the macro.

Genius
Genius

Hi Everyone,

I have a macro that can do al this stuff and Caap my reseller programmed it for me.

And I'm using it for about 8y now and works just great. I have also contact Caap to make an enhanced version

of it and I think they will make it available in the near future.

But again that's for the future ! For now you will have to do it with the current macro.

But there's a minus for non dutch speaking people, you have to translate it.

But if I can find some free time I will try to translate the macro. But I think google will be your best friend for now.Smiley Wink

Maybe someone can make this func available in the batch macro.

BTW it does work for ST6 - I cannot tell if it still works for later releases, but I think that will be not a problem.

So if you have questions ask Caap BV for support. Great people BTW !

Dirk Rutten

Solid Edge STX user