Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I explode a family of parts to seperate models

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have a model that was created as a family of parts with 4 seperate parts. How do I break the linkages in this and end up with 4 stand alone models?

Gary Dinges | Mechanical Design Engineer II | Probes & New Product Development Emerson Commercial & Residential Solutions | Therm-O-Disc, Inc.| 1320 South Main Street | Mansfield | OH | 44907 | USA T +1 419 525 8554 gary.dinges@emerson.com

5 REPLIES

Re: How do I explode a family of parts to seperate models

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Gary_Dinges  You will need to open each member file in SE and edit the Part Copy feature and deselect the "Link to file" option.  After doing that for each member file you will either need to delete the master file if no longer needed, or if only disconnecting some members, you will need to delete those members from the masters FOP Table.

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@KennyG's suggestion is great. Or move them from traditional part to synch part. And you can edit them with synch tools... (and delete them from master part...)

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

What is the FOP table?

I have disabled link to file in each part. What drafter did was use the parent part as one of the children parts. So I can't delete parent. I could save as temp P/N, delete parent, then rename temp back to original if this would work.

We have made a decision to use orderded envioroment for majority of models, so moving to synch is not an option at this time.

Attached is a screen capture of Design Manager for draft file containing family of parts as it is now with links disabled. The parent part is also listed as a child ??

I was not creator of the Family setup. We have just added a new group of engineers in China that have just started using Solid Edge, little training yet (not my choice by any means)

I am reluctant to use family of parts setup due to our current state of experience with multiple global engineering groups. Seperate models in my opinion are better choice keep unintended changes being made. May not be best option, but given that I have 10 new contributers to SE database, it is best one at this time.

Thanks,

Gary Dinges | Mechanical Design Engineer II | Probes & New Product Development Emerson Commercial & Residential Solutions | Therm-O-Disc, Inc.| 1320 South Main Street | Mansfield | OH | 44907 | USA T +1 419 525 8554 gary.dinges@emerson.com

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Gary_Dinges  The "FOP Table" is accessed using the Edit Table button on the Family of Parts (FOP) pane of EdgeBar in the parent/master file.  It will list each FOP member/child that was created.  These are the members/children you would need to delete after breaking the link in each of the populated member/child files.

The FOP parent/master file cannot be used as one of the members/children as it state will always change based on what member/child was last applied to it when it is saved.  That master/parent file should not be used in any assembly or draft file.  Use only the member/child files in assembly/draft.

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Phenom
Phenom

Why not just find where the drafter has used the parent part and replace it with an appropriate FOP part ?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.