How do I get rid of the Duplicate Part Document waring window in Assembly mode?

We recently upgaded to ST6 and keep all our parts/assemblies on our server in folders divided by part numbers. Any time we pull in a part that is located in the same folder as the assembly we get an annoying warning that says "(Duplicate Part Document) The part you want to place has the same name as a part document in the same folder as the assembly will be placed automatically. Click OK to continue or click Cancel to stop placement and rename you document."  This is very annoying. Is there any way to turn this warning off?

8 REPLIES

Are you sure your pulling in a part that is located in th...

Are you sure your pulling in a part that is located in the assemblies folder or are you pulling in a part from a different folder and that part also happens to be in the assemblies folder?

The latter scenario is when that warning message is displayed.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP4
Testing: ST10

Re: Are you sure your pulling in a part that is located in th...

We store all our files in numbered folders ie: 22000-22099 is a folder name that contains all those part numbers. So if my assembly is 22039 any part in this folder (ie: 22050) I put into this assembly pops up that warning. We haven't had this problem in previous versions.

I'm running ST6 and am not having that issue, and I'm guessing everybody else isn't seeing it either. Having everything in a single folder is an extremely common way to work and I have about 150 users running ST6 and none of them are having this issue. The only time I have seen this is if you actually have a duplicate where one is located in the common folder with the assembly and the other is in a folder outside of the assembly and that is the one you are attempting to place. I would double check your parts library path and that of the opened assembly you are placing the part into. If that all checks out then contact GTAC or your VAR.
Ken Grundey

The clue is in the statement - "The part you want to plac...

The clue is in the statement -

"The part you want to place has the same name as a part document in the same folder as the assembly"

You have 2 models with the same name - one in your server folders and one in the same folder as your assembly.

By default, when loading an assembly, Solid Edge looks in the 'Container' folder first for the parts of that assembly (ie. the folder where the assembly is located) - even if the part was first attached from a different folder.

So, in your case, it's finding the 'Container' copy and telling you its going to use that one, not the server folder copy.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Re: The clue is in the statement - "The part you want to plac...

I don't know if you missed my response to Grundey above but our assembly is located out on the server as well. We only have one location. We have been running Solid Edge for 5+ years and never got that warning till we upgraded to ST6.

try Revision Manager and search for duplicate filenames. include all your network locations and your local C drive in the search parameters.
if one shows up, it may be a clue that something in your setup changed between ST5 and ST6.
Are you using Insight or other management system?
John J Bazaar
Mgr Development & Technology
ACI Services Inc

Also take not of the comment hsommer left on the BBS to the same question... Could it possibly be a drive/location mapping issue where it is the same physical location but people used different mappings to that location, thus Solid Edge sees it as different?
Ken Grundey

The mapped path and none-mapped path will recognized as different path even if they are same physical drive/folder. please make sure you opened asm/import psm parts in same displayed folder.