How do I hide holes in the 3D model and draft environment?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Users,

I want to know how to hide all the small holes present in the model as you can see in the image below. I actually need to smoothen the surface, so that on drafting there are no holes visible. I use the drafted .DXF files to create illustrations. Cleaning up these holes manually in the illustration software is tedious.

Your ideas are appreciated.

Regards,
Rahul

17 REPLIES

Re: How do I hide holes in the 3D model and draft environment?

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Rahul:

Window select the holes and click Detach from the context (right-click) menu. I do not know however, the way to get them back.

In Draft, there is a much better way using 'Hide Edges':

2016_July_25_03.png

~Tushar

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If it's a part in ordered you can use the modify/delete faces/holes, etc. and you can window select. It doesn't actually delete them but creates a delete feature which you can suppress or delete to see the holes again. Maybe that's all you would need to make your dxf.

What Tushar suggests for the draft may work well for you also.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

@Tushar's solution is great!

I suggest using an other method too. Simplified part is very good tools for you in this case.

Here is a video (Icons are language independent Smiley Happy)

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Imics Totally forgot about simplifying.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

And @bshand I forgot about ordered altogether Smiley Happy

(Icons are language independent Smiley Happy)

@Imics - I agree 100%

@RahulKulkarni : Mark all current or yet to follow posts as Solutions which you find acceptable for your case.

Phenom
Phenom

I see a new functional enhancement request.

The ability to hide or ignore "small objects" in a defined area or a closed face boundary by feature "size" determined by user. Something like ignore all cylindrical faces smaller or equal to <insert size range>. This could be accomplished by a feature group or face group. Then apply visible/invisible or supress/unsupress capabilities. The group feature could be setup to auto include new features or just selected features. Next you would need some sort of mechanism to alert the user that the file contains groups that are not "visible or suppressed" and to continue or include in function..something like dxf or flat pattern functions.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

"Simplify" is the way to do this.

• Once you start the Simplify environment you will see in the Modify section the "Delete Faces" button, use the expand arrow and select "Delete Holes".
  • On the Delete Holes command bar, set the selection option to "By Operator" and the filter to All Holes, and then then set your size threshold.
  • All holes smaller than that will be selected, then accept the selection.
  • In Draft, then place the Simplified version of the model.
2016-07-25_13-56-08.png

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Phenom
Phenom

Ken-

I would agree with you that simplify is the way to go. But is it or should it be the only way to go? The problem I have with simplify is that you can only have one version (aka configuration). I understand this to be a "specially" named configuration for use with large assembly management. You do have the ability to do a Save As of the simplfied/defeatured solid but you have no ties back to the original parent part. Changes to the original design are not reflected in the new part file created from the Save As. So I don't see how this helps outside of defaturing for intellectual property or defeaturing for FEA. Either way, if you look at bigger picture and include PDM you will want those types of "configurations" linked to the parent file.

I know this might be were a design table comes into the picture. But I feel that my request for having the ability to have feature groups that can be turned on and off would be a great enhancement. Add that to the newer abilities in ST9 variables/expressions and you now have a powerful tool for product design configuration.

I'm still learning the in's and out's of SE so if there is some other method I love to learn it. I actually consider myself a beginner in SE. :-)

Phenom
Phenom

@RahulKulkarni

Also if you plan to use the Draft views in the illustration software, remember not to capture the screen since it creates a raster image. Solid Edge supports copying the drawing view directly to Vector format which can be pasted in other applications like Pagemaker, Illustrator, etc. or those supporting vector formats.

See this video tip which illustrates the difference. Hope you find it useful.

~Tushar