How do I make aligned holes stay parallel to a face?

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

I am using ST and I have an angle face. I have two holes that are created in alignment (F3 locked when angled face selected) with the angled face:

Capture_598.jpg

I create the holes using the horizontal relationship:

Capture_599.jpg

4 REPLIES

Re: How do I make aligned holes stay parallel to a face?

Phenom
Phenom

To make a hole stay aligned to an edge, I added a dimension and locked it and found that after changing the angle of the face using ST, the hole maintained the distance from the face/edge.

2016032801.jpg

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Thanks, but I had already done this. In the example, I had 2 holes (although it could be more). I want all of the holes to be aligned, but figured that SE should be able to say they are aligned to the edge (which is how the relationship is created) and they stay aligned to the face if it changed angle and the one dimensions maintains the position from the face.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Alan "(which is how the relationship is created)"

What relationship?

This might be a case where using ordered for the holes would be easier. Make a centerline in the hole sketch parallel to the edge at whatever distance and connect the holes to the line.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I got it to work in sync using coplanar instead of aligned. Each hole is coplanar to a plane which is in turn parallel to the face.

coplanarholes.JPG

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200