How do I place a downward force on only part of a hole for FEA purposes

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I am modeling a yoke plate with three holes in it. There will be a shackle hanging off of each hole. These shackles will have hooks on them that will be used to lift transmission line components.

I am wanting to simulate loads on all three of these holes. This is more or less a point load in the -y direction on each hole.

I have tried projecting a 3D sketch onto the inner surface of the hole to create a selectable surface that would approximate the contact area that the shackle would have with the yoke plate but, for whatever reason, I can't select this surface when trying to place a force on a surface.

I am using ST7.

Is there some tutorial that I can watch or read that does this kind of thing? It seems like this would be a very common application of ST7's FEA tool, so it must be possible...

Thanks a lot for the help.

5 REPLIES

Re: How do I place a downward force on only part of a hole for FEA purposes

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Split Face command may help here.

Project your curves onto the face where it needs to be split then run Splirt Face and follow the prompt.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Experimenter
Experimenter

Perfect, that's exactly what I needed. Thank you.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks again for that previous solution... I'm back with a new question and it is essentially the reverse of what the original question is.

I have the same plate, with the hole in it. It is symmetric about the y-axis, so I sketched only half of it and then mirrored it. The hole is right in the middle of the plate, so it is bisected by the y-plane.

After having mirrored it, the inner hole face is actually two faces. How can I unite these faces? The "Redefine" command does not allow me to create one face out of these two.

Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

You might try using the "Replace Face" command found on the surfacing tab....although, face merging normally happens by default. So they may not be exactly symetrical, or colinear....

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Replace face seems to have worked. I wish searching something intuitive like 'combine faces' or even just 'combine' in the command finder would turn up this Replace Face command. Then I wouldn't be asking these lame questions...

I certainly appreciate all the help!